Anyone have anemia and other vitiamin deficiences to get in the way of having RNY?

shellbell4955
on 4/27/11 12:29 am - GA
I am amemic, with potassium and B-12 deficient and I take a lot of anit pschotic meds, and I have hypoglycemia will the malapsorptive problem be to bad to get the RNY?? I am still waiting on my first appt with my surgeoun to go over this, just wanted some thoughts from u guys.

Shelley Belley
Cheryl Allan
on 4/27/11 12:35 am - Canada
I am anemic and low in b12 and I had my surgery 3 weeks ago, after surgery it is best to get the iron and b12 shots that way they will absorb into your blood stream rather than taking the capsule, good luck
Cheryl Allan

HW...355......SW....322...CW 281

4_them_2
on 4/27/11 1:00 am - Northern, VA
I've been anemic for years and my pre-op labs showed that I had low vitamin D and B12. I used the Celebrate pre-surgery vitamins to get my levels in the normal range before I had my surgery. I now take my maintenance vitamins as ordered by my surgeon. Good Luck!

03/29/2011  --  RNY @ INOVA!!  Surgery went great. Weighed 260
 03/30/2011  --  Discharged w/ 12 pounds of fluid WTH??  Weighed 272
 04/04/2011  --  One week followup w/ PA. Weighed 259    
AliSarah
on 4/27/11 2:33 am
I was severely anemic before surgery and my surgeon wanted it to be fully controlled before she would do my surgery. I had my date postponed from March to July while we waited for my iron levels to get up into the normal range. It was kind of a drag but I know it was the best thing for my health, so I'm glad we did that.

Now, my anemia is as bad as ever and I've had to take iron infusions to hopefully get them back to normal soon!

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
shellbell4955
on 4/27/11 2:53 am - GA
Im still waiting to get my first appointment with my surgeon but from the seminar I get the feeling he is going to want me to get the lap band and not the rny b/c of the malapsortion problems and im on a lot of meds.
AliSarah
on 4/27/11 3:01 am
I think you should definitely look into and learn about the sleeve surgery as well. It does not have the malabsorption of the RNY but has restriction like the lap band. They take out the part of your stomach that makes ghrelin so your body doesn't make as many hunger symptoms. It's a very good surgery if you are able to work it and if you need to have a surgery without malabsorption! 

Huggles!!
~Sarah~

HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
poet_kelly
on 4/27/11 3:48 am - OH
I'd look at VSG then.  You couldn't pay me to get a band.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Carrie W.
on 4/27/11 3:00 am - KY
I have always been anemic (I'm a redhead) but it was controlled with supplements.  Now that I'm post op, I take a large dose of iron and so far I'm fine.  I also take lamictal (mood stabilizer) and so far I can't a difference in how it affects me.  I also crush all my pills so that might make a difference? 
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

shellbell4955
on 4/27/11 3:19 am - GA
As far as the sleeve goes my insurance won't cover it. I am also on Lamictal along with a lot more other meds no matter what wls I have im gonna have to figure out a way to take them there are so many of them I just dont know I wish I could just get a sot or something..lol
Shelley Belley
Carrie W.
on 4/27/11 3:27 am - KY
How far south are you?  I had my surgery in Nashville and I can't say enough good things about my surgeon, their program or the hospital.  If I were you, I'd contact them.  It's Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity.

Good luck!!

BTW, lamictal is NASTY crushed.  I mean NASTY   I ended up making sf jello pudding to get it down. 
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 401 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?