getting a grip on my emotional eating!

Paula C.
on 4/27/11 9:11 am
For years I have been a emotional eater. I didn't know how to just go through the emotion of being mad, sad, lonely, etc.. I would always grab something to graze on and after I finished the whole carton or bag I felt so bad. Well I am changing yay! I actually allow myself to feel alone or upset and when I go through my husbands snacks I am able to say its okay that your husband is leaving again out of town. Its okay to be alone. I am learning that food cannot be my comfort anymore. If anyone else is going through the same thing just stop yourself next time you are about to graze and say okay why am I eating? Am I really hungry or am I just ignoring a emotion at this moment?
Paula Colvin RNY 08-03-2009 Augusta, Ga                                
Rosanette
on 4/27/11 10:00 am
So, I can sometimes tell that I'm "ignoring" an emotion. Well, actually, if I can identify it, then I'm not ignoring it, but am sad or depressed and want to feel better and cookies make me feel better. Why? I don't know why. They are sweet; It's probably a chemical reaction. I need to retrain my brain and body. I'm eating fruit today. Just since dinner I've had grapes, a banana and more grapes. I'm trying to stay off cakes, cookies and candy until my bd, July 12. Also, my 1 yr. surgiversary is June 9. I also started going to a therapist two weeks ago. I got down to this weight twice before, and ballooned back up . Can't do that this time. Must lose to under 175#. Must. :) I've been very depressed lately because it is a tendency anyway, I'm having a complicated relationship with a guy I care about, I'm having a hard time being a better teacher and better person, and I can't get my bills under control. Food makes me feel better. I have to find other things to make me feel better- self-talk, or reading, exercise or talking to a friend... that's what others do, I suppose. Thanks. Good luck.

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we will walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over again the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives. -- Thoreau 

Paula C.
on 4/27/11 10:39 am
I am watching a show addicted to food. The therapist said everyone that is addicted to something has been abused in some way. It is so true. The patients are letting out their anger out on their parents by talking to two empty chairs. I have anger to tell my parents too. It really does start with our childhood.that's why a lot of us are in abusive relationships because we think we desreve it not true.
nfarris79
on 4/27/11 10:05 am - Germantown, MD
 Amen!!! 

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

_Donna_
on 4/27/11 10:57 am
But if you tell your parents that they are to blame for your emotional unwellness, how is that going to help anything? It only hurts their feelings and causes tention with you for the rest of their lives.
I read an article in the paper not too long ago where a grown woman is sueing her 6o+ year old mother for child abuse! The woman got arrested and everything!
Paula C.
on 4/27/11 11:18 am
No you don't literally tell your parents in person you put down empty chairs in front of you and let out all of your anger out loud to your parents or to whoever abused you. You tell them everything you have been holding in all of these years. Even if you have to be alone and scream and let it out. Let me tell you what a relief it will be.
Karen M.
on 4/27/11 11:00 am - San Antonio, TX
Emotional eating continues to bedevil me. I am working through "A Course in Weight Loss" and Geneen Roth's "Women, Food & God" to help me. My therapist had to retire suddenly so I am going it by myself, but not alone thanks to my OH friends!

HW 350 (8/06) /Consult W (12/09) 319 /SW 300 /CW 215.9/ GW 170

Rosanette
on 4/27/11 12:51 pm
There were many instances in my childhood and as a young adult (and honeslty, even more recently) of physical and emotional abuse. I know this. But knowing it doesn't make it that much easier to fix. I had someone I really care about tell me not long ago that I am broken, damaged. I agree, I know this, and I've been trying to fix myself for many years. I've done lots to improve my self-image and character. This surgery was just one more act of self-love and self-appreciation. It still doesn't guarantee a total fix. I'll probably never be fixed. Like new. I often wish I had more than one lifetime to fix myself in. Awareness of a reincarnated life. Being an old soul. I wish for wisdom and personal strength. :)   

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we will walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over again the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives. -- Thoreau 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 239 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 374 views
Recent Topics