Is skin always a isuue with the RNY?

shellbell4955
on 4/28/11 11:14 pm - GA
iS A lot of loose skin mostly an issue with the RNY even if u work out b/c u loose the weight faster??

Shelley Belley
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 11:21 pm - NJ
Skin is an issue with any weight loss; your skin grew to accommodate your excess weight and while it may *tighten* a bit, it can't un-grow.

The amount and *flabbiness* of your loose skin depends on so many things - age, how overweight you are, how long you have been overweight, etc.  The speed of loss with RNY really has nothing to do with it; if you are loosing 100 pounds with or without surgery, you are gonna have loose skin.

My skin isn't bad at all; a little jiggly here and there, and my stomach kinda looks a little like a shar-pei, but it tucks into my undies nice :) 

Does that make sense?
Katari
on 4/28/11 11:28 pm - OR
To many variables to really answer your question. Depends on age, genetics, how much weight you have to lose, how long you've been overweight, etc. Working out won't stop you from having loose skin, but it will help keep the muscle which is more important. Also it doesn't really matter how fast you lose the the weight, you'll either have it or you won't.

I'm in my early 40's lost just over 100 pounds and have a little bit but not much and other than wanting a panni removal (small but bugs me) I'm not really needing any PS. I tease my hubby I need some new "girls" but in reality they aren't so bad. If I never get plastic surgery I'll be just fine.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

soldierzgirl36
on 4/28/11 11:54 pm - WA

Age is def a factor, along with other things. I do not have much at all. I have lost 30 lbs and so far, Im good to go:) But I only have 30 lbs to lose..

SOLDIERZGIRL

Karly Green
on 4/28/11 11:57 pm - Middletown, NJ
I had my RNY surgery at 27. I've lost 130 lbs and I have some flabby thighs, & tummy. But it's not something that I'd spend too much time dwelling on. Or it's not something that would make me go back in time and not get the surgery.
Stretch marks, scars, flab, etc it's all part of the game for us now.
Strength training early out helps to bring your skin back in I'm sure. So I definitely recommend that. But really there's no magic creams or potions you can use to help.

here's me at about 6 months out. It's gotten a tiny bit better since them cause I'm doing P90X and that helps.
Good luck!

Watch what I eat at myfitnesspal.com username karkar28
shellbell4955
on 4/29/11 12:07 am - GA
Thank u all for your help Ireally appreciate it
Selley Belley
Rejoyce
on 4/29/11 12:11 am - Dayton, OH
I could only dream to look so good as you do!  Way to go girl!

Joyce
Life is just a stage I'm going through...
HW:253  SW: 230  CW: 170  GW: 140

Karly Green
on 4/29/11 12:28 am - Middletown, NJ
Aww, Thank you Rejoyce!

Watch what I eat at myfitnesspal.com username karkar28
MSW will not settle
on 4/29/11 12:54 am
Skin is an issue of significant weight loss.  Fast or slow.  Surgical or no op.  Most people will have some measure of loose skin.  However, everyone does not have a large amount of loose skin. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

Laura in Texas
on 4/29/11 1:05 am
I would guess that 90% of us will have some degree of loose skin.  Now the amount and how much it bothers us varies greatly from person to person.  I look pretty good in clothes, but do plan on getting some major work done, hopefully soon (even though my boyfriend loves me as is and thinks I'm sexy)!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 542 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views