Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D Deficiency

evan_326
on 5/1/11 9:33 am - Rock Island, IL
Hello Everyone,

My doctor called me on Friday and told me that my B12 and Vitamin D are both low.

I am curious if anyone else has this issue and what you do to control your levels?

I know the basics of a supplement however, I am looking for something more than my daily vitamins. Anyone know of foods high in B12 and Vitamin D?

The doctor is starting me on B12 injections with my PCP and taking 1000 units of Vitamin D3 a day.

Just tired of being tired! I want my enegery back. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you :) 
Lady Lithia
on 5/1/11 10:19 am
you can't get B12 from food, you have to use sublingual pills or injections, low levels can result in PERMANENT nerve damage

I would also make sure to order some D3 (make sure it's dry) and take 50,000iu a day. don't take the perscription stuff, it's worthless

If you aren't getting the injection on Monday, go get some sublingual B12 and start taking them twice a day until you have the injection.... permanent damage is nothing to joke about.

D is not something you get from diet either, so it's pills for those too..oen of the biggest issues we have as RNY folks is that we can't process a lot of vitamins from food anymore, the parts of our digestivve system that work towards digesting the vitamins in food are bypassed, so it doesn't matter how rich the food we are consuming is in the desired vitamin, it doesn't help.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/2/11 3:15 am
I get 2 injection a month - give it to myself. Not big deal.
As for D - I get dry D3 - winter - 50,000 iu - 5-6 times a week. Summer - 50,000 IU 2-3 times a week. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

evan_326
on 5/3/11 2:32 am - Rock Island, IL
What do you guys mean by "dry"?
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/3/11 2:40 am
Normally D3 is oil soluble same as A, and E. But we have issues absorbing that, so we need dry - or water soluble vitamins.

If the D3 is packed in oil (oil gel caps - typical) most RNY or DS people will have a problem absorbing that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AliSarah
on 5/3/11 2:48 am
Some vitamins come in many forms, but those forms are generally considered to be fat soluble or dry. The liquid capsule vitamins are suspended in oil to ease absorption of the fat soluble vitamins, but with the surgery we have had, we don't absorb as much fat as a regular intestine does. So, we need to get the "dry" versions of certain vitamins, namely A, D, E and K... For Vitamin D, these are going to be called cholecalciferol! :D So, on the bottle it will say Vitamin D in big letters, and the dose in pretty good sized letters and under in somewhat small letters, it will say cholecalciferol, which is how you'll know you have the dry version! :D

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 417 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 364 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views