Lab Results

Heidi M.
on 5/3/11 9:47 pm - Fridley, MN
So back in February I had some lab results done & my vitamin D was low & calcium was high.  It was suggested that if I had the PTH lab done it may help determine if I am leaching calcium or not. Whell I got the PTH lab done & my value was "237". According to the report average is: 14-72. Ok, so with that information - what does this mean?  I am now taking a vitamin D supplement but I forgot to ask to get that lab done as well.

They also took a lab called: AST (SGOT) - not sure what that is but my value was 17 and standard range is between 12-45.

I had them recheck my iron & here is the results. I am taking 1 caplsule of 60 MG Elemental Carbonyl Iron with 400 MG vitamin C.  I just wonder if I need more iron as I am still very cold.  I did at 18 mile bike ride yesterday & I was cold when I was done!?!!

FERRITIN, SERUM 137 10 - 150 ng/mL
IRON 80 28 - 160 mcg/dL
TRANSFERRIN 275 200 - 340 mg/dL
TIBC (CALC) 388 250 - 425 mcg/dL
TIBC(CALC) is a derived result (Transferrin X 1.49) .
IRON SATURATION 21 15 - 50 %

Thank you in advance for your help!

Heidi

Girl_in_green_dress
on 5/3/11 10:24 pm - Louisville, KY
VSG on 10/16/17
The blood test for aspartate aminotransferase (AST) is usually used to detect liver damage. It is often ordered in conjunction with another liver enzyme, alanine aminotransferase (ALT), or as part of a liver panel to screen for and/or help diagnose liver disorders. AST and ALT are considered to be two of the most important tests to detect liver injury, although ALT is more specific than AST. Sometimes AST is compared directly to ALT and an AST/ALT ratio is calculated. This ratio may be used to distinguish between different causes of liver damage.

If you get a CMP (complete metabolic panel) this will almost always be one of the test involved with that, along with 13 other test.

Here is a website i use in class it gives alot of good information about Lab test and what they are for.

www.labtestsonline.org/
Dave Chambers
on 5/3/11 11:37 pm - Mira Loma, CA
You'll need some dry D3 to resolve low D issues. I went through this right after surgery. You failed to note your D level numbers, but here's my expereience. I had a 8 for D after surgery. PCP put me on script D, which is D2. Taking one a week for 6 months and 3 sets of labs, with highest level for D was a 14. Not much of an improvement.  I then took a liquid vitamin with dry D3 in it, and 5 weeks later my D was at a 33, now within low normal limits. I then began taking 4 of the 50K dry D3 per week and did so for over 2 years. I had labs in Oct, 10, with a 65 as the result. Target numbers for best long range health, is to have D score at 80-90.  Since those labs, I take a 50K dry D3 daily (7 per week), hoping my next labs will be in the desired range.  Each post op will absorb D3 slightly differently, so I'd intially try 3 per week. Then get labs a month later, and adjust accordingly. Some post ops have posted here that they have D numbers in the 80+ range on 10K IU dry D3 daily. So it's somewhat of a trial and adjust process.   To be honest, most post ops suffer from feeling very cold a few months post op.  This cold feeling usually subsides with time, but my post op leader (having RNY 11 years ago) still leads support groups dressed with one or more sweaters in the middle of summer. In winter months, she sometimes wears a parka style coat, with at least one sweater also. Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 770 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 499 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 107 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 276 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?