That last 20 pounds...

Amy L.
on 5/4/11 12:23 am - Buffalo, NY
So, for those of you who are in maintenance phase, or close to it, how hard was it to get that last 20 pounds off, and how long did it take you? Did you have to change any activities or strategies to make it happen?  I am starting to slow down now, and I am so nervous about this last 20!
  5'5"tall, RNY 11/22/10, HW256  SW252 CW148 SurgeonGW160 MyGW130  5/15/2011 
Met my surgeon's goal weight of 160lbs on 3/30/11! Reached 130lbs on 5/24/11!

CURRENTLY 120LBS, 9/7/11!

MoLawEd
on 5/4/11 12:36 am - Cambridge, MA
I never got off the last 20 pounds that I wanted to lose. I changed everything, tried all kinds of things, turns out my body just wasn't meant to be my goal weight, at least not without reconstructive interventions (though I surpassed my surgeon's goal.) Many people do get off those last 20 pounds and even wind up lower -- that may well happen for you -- but it doesn't happen for everyone even those who are technically considered "successes."  My goal now is maintaining, and it's actually pretty sweet even if not model svelte.

Having RNY was probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

siberiancat
on 5/4/11 12:38 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I lost 35 pounds in my second year - so it was during that time.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

KittenLove
on 5/4/11 12:43 am - Around Knoxville, TN
You are barely 6 mos out so you will continue to lose.

For me, it came off plus another 10 when I took up running -- and it took me from a size 6 to a 2.

Be happy. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 12:50 am, edited 5/4/11 12:51 am
That's a hard question to answer... if you had a reasonable goal weight for your body, then it might not be difficult to get that last 20 pounds off.  However, if your goal weight is one that isn't fully realistic for your body, then you may never get that last bit off.

I've give you an example.  I could never imagine myself getting down to a BMI less than 25, let alone on the lower end of that range for my 5'9" height.  When I had my surgery, I thought that 160 seemed to be an unattainable goal... not really because it was such a low number, but just because I'd spent so little time at that number in my entire life (I think I was 13 or so the last time I was that weight).

I set that goal at 160... and as I approached 160, I began to think that 'gee, I'm going to get there relatively easily... let's lower the goal.".  So, I lowered my goal further to 148. Well, here I am at about 15-1/2 months out and I'm at 165... I'm trying very hard to get to 160, but the loss has slowed dramatically.  I will drop a couple pounds, then for the next three weeks go up and down, up and down, til once again I'm at that lowest weight and eventually, it does down another pound.  

I think I WILL reach 160... but 148?  Not sure I'll ever get there... my body doesn't want to seem to be there.  I am wearing a size 8 pants and dresses and usually a medium in tops, despite my 38DDD top end.  I'm looking pretty slim... and while I've got some extra chub around my midsection and in my butt and thighs, I don't know if that will ever go away.  While my MIND might want to be at 148, my body is a little more realistic about what's possible.

So, have you been at your goal weight before and was that a decent weight for you?  If yes, then maybe you WILL get there and while it'll take time, it might be attainable.  If you've never been there before and just want that certain 'number', don't get your heart set on it.  Your body will only go as far as your body wants to to be healthy, despite how you eat, exercise and hope!

Good luck, hope you can be happy at wherever you end up!

tori
GD6
on 5/4/11 1:21 am - Hamilton, Canada
Amy, that last 20 lbs was a bugger for me, it took me 4 months!  The first 100 fell off effortlessly within 6 months.
Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

laura_vermont
on 5/4/11 1:22 am
We're the same height, so I don't think your goal is unrealistic.   I really didn't do anything differently to get the last 20lbs off..... though my weight fluctuates about 5lbs day to day (frustrating).  I'm currently between 120-125.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 5:27 am
Here's my thought...I started out at the same weight and had surgery on 10-25-10.  I have 19 pounds to go to get to my goal of 144.  I have lowered my expectations that the 15 pounds/month loss will continue.  Gone--right out of my head!  Now, think about it.  You are at six months with 20 pounds left to go.  If you lost just one pound a week, which is very likely if you continue to eat healthfully and exercise, you will reach goal in the next five months, before your year is up.  No sweat.  And let's say you don't lose it, for some reason, and you are doing everything according to your doctor's plan.  I might take that as a sign from my body that I am where I need to be...
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 401 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views