Gastric Bypass Card

ChasingButterflies
on 5/6/11 1:04 pm - FL
Hey Ya'll,

I've read that several people have cards that say they've had gastric bypass to help them be able to order small meals at restaurants.  Where do I get this?  We recently went out of town and had to eat in restaurants several times.  Most of the time, I was given no issue in ordering a child's meal or just a side salad.  But, one restaurant refused to let me order anything but a large meal.  The card may have helped. 
~Brooke~
We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.  ~Maya Angelou    
Pre-Surgery Weight: 315  RNY 2-28-2011
shantele7824
on 5/6/11 1:06 pm - SAN PABLO, CA
I just had surgery on Tuesday and the day I was leaving the R.N who was my nurse gave me a card saying I needed small portions when he was giving me my discharge papers.
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

merlinda
on 5/6/11 1:18 pm
How do you feel Shantele??? 
shantele7824
on 5/6/11 2:15 pm - SAN PABLO, CA
I feel really good, my only pain really has been from gas and when I am getting up off the sofa or out of bed, but it is all manageable pain, thanks for asking.
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

jkjstars123
on 5/6/11 1:09 pm - Tama, IA
I got mine at my surgeon's office however I have never used it. I just order something small (sides) or take some of it home. When I'm with my kids my oldest daughter orders my food off the kids menu (if something is on it I can eat) and I order something for her then we switch.

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

tinkerbell025
on 5/6/11 1:12 pm - Fargo, ND
Ask at your surgeon's office. I never got the card. Some of out restaurants don't honor them, plus in my mind I figure it is not up to them- that is their bread and butter and it was my choice to have the surgery. I just order what I want and bring the rest home for later or to share with others at home. Denny's is good to me and let me order on the senior menu, they say we never ask a woman her age LOL

Hope you get what it is you desire
Kelly/tink
Maintaining! Start weight 257,Current weight 122,Loss of 135# and 114 inches,Size 22-24W now size 4 to 0 (zero),Healthy life=Priceless

www.onetruemedia.com/shared
ChasingButterflies
on 5/6/11 1:14 pm - FL
That's a good idea about switching.  Another thought that comes to mind was when I was at Sea World this past week.  I packed a small bag cooler for my cheese sticks and cottage cheese.  The security guard didn't want to let me in with it, even though their website clearly states that special diets are allowed inside the parks.  It would have been nice to be able to put whip out a card to show him. 
~Brooke~
We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.  ~Maya Angelou    
Pre-Surgery Weight: 315  RNY 2-28-2011
(deactivated member)
on 5/6/11 1:25 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Don't bother with that card.  Just order appetizers or soup, or if you order an adult meal just take the leftovers home.

You can't tell me that the waiter refused to take an order for a cup of soup & a salad??!!  
Amy R.
on 5/6/11 6:11 pm, edited 5/6/11 9:53 pm
Don't bother with that card. Just order appetizers or soup, or if you order an adult meal just take the leftovers home.

You can't tell me that the waiter refused to take an order for a cup of soup & a salad??!!

You hit the nail on the head Lynn. Why bother with that thing when at the most we're talking about a couple dollars difference? It's not worth it to me to draw the kind of attention I get when I say I've had RnY. It's nobodies business but my own. I've been all over the place since surgery and have yet to have had a problem. I either order a childs meal, share an entree with my hubby (we just ask for two plates) if we're somewhere where we know the portions are large, get just a salad or just soup, or take home leftovers. Or not. Sometimes I choose not to eat (if I'm not hungry and/or don't see anything suitable on the menu) and just drink stuff while the others in my party are eating - doesn't bother anybody a bit. And once in a great while, I'll not order anything, but take bites off my husband's or daughter's plates. Weird I know, but there are times when I am certain I will only be eating 5 or 6 bites at that moment, so just make them share instead of ordering a meal.

Not trying to be abrupt. I just feel like it's MY issue and a restaraunt shouldn't have to absorb the cost of doing anything special for me.

ETA: I think I have a card somewhere that I didn't fill out - if you want it, PM me your snail mail address and I'll just send it to you. I won't be using it, and someone might as well get some mileage out of it. =)

Editing my edit: I did locate the card and will gladly send it to you or anyone else who would like it - whoever PM's me first will get it. It's not surgery specific and not dated or anything like that. It simply reads "
The person in possession of this card has had a surgical weight loss procedure that restricts the amount of food that they may eat. If available, please allow them to order smaller portions."
janet2921
on 5/6/11 11:26 pm - Chicago, IL
On May 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM Pacific Time, Lynn N wrote:
Don't bother with that card.  Just order appetizers or soup, or if you order an adult meal just take the leftovers home.

You can't tell me that the waiter refused to take an order for a cup of soup & a salad??!!  
Lynn, I so much agree with you! I just eat the appetizers.  If I decide on an entree, it is always "to go".

My neice and I go out to a fancy restuarant every month.  An appetizer or salad with a ****tail works great for me.

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."

cent100

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 141 views