Strange Week of Compliments - Rated Good to Odd

RLP39
on 5/6/11 3:12 pm
WARNING! Long post proceed with caution but only if you have some time to spare - It seems to be my week for compliments (not all physical) and I am actually getting used to finally accepting most of them gracefully without feeling totally awkward.

Odd and awkward
! - A man I have never met before approached me in a hotel where I was scheduled to speak and said, "Oh my gosh I almost didn't recognize you!  You have changed so much...you've lost a lot of weight.  You look wonderful."  I responded with a "Yes that is true thank you," along with a slightly puzzled look because I do not know him.  Then he says "Oh I'm sorry I have been watching your webcasts online and I feel like I know you."  He then proceeds to introduce himself and I try to make a quick get away. ;-)

Good but awkward
! - Last night I went out for a celebratory dinner with a panel of individuals I have been working with for about 9 months.  One on of the panel members also happens to be a good friend.  During an evening of toasting the work we accomplished together she stands up to say how proud she is of me and how I am an inspiration.  She then announces that I have lost the equivalent of a whole person and completed a few 5Ks and a 10K.  The weight loss is not a secret as they all have been with me once a month for the last 9 months but I am not sure I wanted a public toast in a restaurant.  She has been very supportive of me and she is terribly proud of me though so I know it came from a place of love.

Good! - not weight related! :-)  - I finished working with a panel today and a panel member said he had something to say.  He said he felt like we accomplished amazing things together but that he felt we owed that to one person - me. He said he thought I was miraculous. Then they all cheered.  That was nice.

Funny! - Another panel member from the group above said to me afterwards, "I just have to tell you that I have never met anyone like you."  I laughed and said I am not sure that is a good thing does that mean you find me to be peculiar?  She said, "No, no, no I meant your really amazing."

All in all good things but I certainly believe I receive a lot more attention from everyone now that I am thinner.  I struggle with how to respond to the attention.  I also often feel embarrassed by the attention and occassionally sad because I recognize that in part my value is more recognized now because of my appearance.  Then, I wonder is it because of my appearance or am I projecting more confidence because of my appearance and the confidence is what really makes a difference?  I do think I am more open to people and interactions than previously. Things to think about. 
HW/SW/CW/GW - 257/229/151/136                      

SoulLips
on 5/6/11 3:55 pm - Cloverdale, CA
Congratulations on your earned compliments!  I think that is great!

Sometimes people are just a bit awkward in their compliments.  At lunchtime this week a co-worker asked how much weight I had lost.  After I responded, "about 63 pounds" another co-worker said, "that's the size of a small child!"  I laughed and made a comment about 63 pounds being a pretty big kid.  She then said something about it being equivalent to 3 medium sized dogs.  I then joked that it was 6-10 cats, depending on their size.  The next day she came to apologize to me because she thought she had offended me.  *sigh*
Start weight: 306   Surgery weight: 282   Current weight 199.5

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/11 4:44 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
If you feel awkward about stating how much you've lost, just tell folks that you don't really know but you feel so healthy and enjoy life.  Then ask them something about themselves--a question about a recent vacation, or how are the kids, etc.  Folks love to talk about themselves!

Best wishes,  
Amy R.
on 5/6/11 5:54 pm
If you feel awkward about stating how much you've lost, just tell folks that you don't really know but you feel so healthy and enjoy life.  Then ask them something about themselves--a question about a recent vacation, or how are the kids, etc.  Folks love to talk about themselves!

What Lynn said.   =)   

I use this all the time when I feel awkward or just weirded out by someone.  And the fact that folks love to talk about themselves is such a truth!  Successful measure everytime I've used it, and that's a lot.  Thanks for thinking to put this out here Lynn.

RLP39
on 5/6/11 4:58 pm
Yes!  I have had a few of those as well.  They sure are oddly phrased compliments...the cat come back was good though! ;-)
HW/SW/CW/GW - 257/229/151/136                      

SoulLips
on 5/6/11 4:54 pm - Cloverdale, CA
I don't feel awkward about the compliments usually.  This particular co-worker is a quirky, odd person... I know that her intent was all positive.
Start weight: 306   Surgery weight: 282   Current weight 199.5

SugarGrl
on 5/6/11 10:57 pm
You are slamming it!!  Congrats!

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!  LET'S GET HEALTHY!     STARTING WEIGHT 211.8, SURGERY 23 MAR 11; ONEDERLAND 30 MAR 11 199.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Michelle E.
on 5/7/11 12:01 am
Good job on handling it so well!

Michelle
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 550 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 534 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?