Does this happen to anyone else?

Donna R.
on 5/7/11 11:09 am - Ocala, FL
I have the weirdest thing happen to me.  When I am eating, when I get full, I start sneezing.  This happens daily.  It's a standing joke in my house, as soon as I sneeze my 13 yr old son says " Mom's Full" and everyone laughs!!!

The sneezing is only 2 or 3 sneezes at a time and it doesn't bother me, but I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this?

Donna
Donna "Embrace the Journey"
AUGUST 18, 2010 "The First Day of the Rest (BEST) of my Life"

HW/SW/CW/GW  -  380/362/178/1??
Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 5/7/11 11:24 am, edited 5/7/11 11:24 am - Belleville, IL
Yes...This happens to many of us. Our sense of "fullness" is different because our vagal nerve is severed and we no longer have a full connected stomach... Signs that an RNY paitient is "full"

1) Hiccups
2) Stuffy nose or ears
3) Pressure or discomfort in chest
4) Sneezes or other "weird" sensations (metallic taste in mouth, ringing in ears, etc)

one thing many of us do NOT feel is the same sense of "fullness" or saiety as before (that stuffed feeling)
If you begin feeling THAT post op, prepare to hurl food soon, because it means you severely overate.
This is why we really need to measure the amounts we eat in the beginning because we often don't feel the "full" signals we did pre-op.

Good luck.
Warmly,
Jackie

Donna R.
on 5/7/11 11:29 am - Ocala, FL
Thanks Jackie, now I feel better. I guess it's not as weird as I thought.

Donna

navymom13760
on 5/7/11 11:32 am - Endicott, NY
I hiccup and the samething happens in my house.  My hubby and kids laugh and say mom's full.  lol

I am perfectly content being perfectly UN-perfect

Start Weight 292/Surgical Weight 266/Current Weight 150

Donna R.
on 5/7/11 11:38 am - Ocala, FL
This is too funny, it's a good thing we can laugh about it!!!

lptazbear66
on 5/7/11 12:20 pm - Murfreesboro, TN
I didn't realize how common this is.  I have this weird hiccup I do and my family laughs and does the same thing, mom's full.  I did not realize this was overeating.  I have been terrible about measuring my food and I wish I had been better from the beginning and done so.  I guess it is never too late to start.

RNY at Vanderbilt Nashville, TN July 26, 2010 with Dr Clements. All loss is post op        
Suite1
on 5/7/11 1:50 pm - Dayton, OH
I used to hiccup early on, but mostly I just gurgle...typicaly pretty loudly.  
HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

msromagnola
on 5/7/11 2:04 pm
I feel exactly the same "full" feeling as before surgery and I have from the very beginning - seems like I'm in the minority.  However, I too sneeze.  I also did this pre surgery.  However, when I sneeze it signals me to not take another bite - it's almost my "too full" signal.  Sometimes it can happen on liquids too - in that case, not another sip.

MSROMAGNOLA
unewillow
on 5/7/11 2:50 pm - CT
I would sneeze pre-op when I was overly full, it's actually funny because my whole family does the same thing. Now, instead of sneezing I hiccup, which is much more annoying.

ohangela
on 5/7/11 4:24 pm
Oh my goodness I was just telling my sister today how I seem to sneeze alot after meals. I first started noticing it when i began having nausea issues right before the sensation to throw up i would start sneezing it was so weird i had no idea there was a connection. I generally will sneeze 2 or 3 times.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 485 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 443 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 452 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404