5 Days Post-Op - Update

mom2kings
on 5/9/11 12:24 am
Hi Everyone!  I am happy to report that I made it through my May 4th surgery and am now on the loser's bench!!  I had a Lap RNY & my gallbladder removed and the surgery took much less time (2 hours & 10 minutes) than the surgeon told my husband (3.5 hours).  I had never been under general anethesia before so I was pretty concerned how I would handle it, but it went great.  I was given 2 different types of anti-nausea medication prior to surgery which I think really helped.  Day 1 after surgery was pretty much what I expected, sore & tired.  Days 2 & 3 took a turn to major pain.  The pain in my lower right side was so intense & the pain meds didn't touch it.  The nursing staff kept telling me it was gas, but everytime they cleaned  the drain the pain was sooo much worse, which I told the nurse.   Finally on Day 3 when the surgeon came & I explained what was going on she was concerned.  To make a long story short, the drain that was left in had slipped out of place by my diaphram and was rubbing on my appendix and had inflammed it and caused the intense pain.   With all of that said I am now Day 5 post-op and doing well; still tired & sore. 

I gained 11 lbs after surgery due to all of the fluids.  I've now lost those 11 lbs plus an additional 3.  Pre-Op + Post-Op weight loss =  25 lbs!

I am still on full liquids for another week and am really looking forward to purees.

Thanks for all of the support.
Mom2Kings

1SushiDiva
on 5/9/11 12:34 am - MD
Wow glad they finally caught that.. and glad you are feeling better..

Michelle1130
on 5/9/11 12:35 am - Fairbanks, AK
I'm sorry you had so much pain, but you seem to be doing great now!  Don't even give a thought to the post surgery weight gain.  I didn't even get on the scale until 3 weeks post op.  Get lots of rest and pamper yourself a bit!  Do all the things your doctor told you to do and you will heal quickly!  My tips for the liquid and puree stage are egg drop soup, sf pudding and applesauce and cream of chicken soup.  It seems at this stage I ate so little that it was really hard to tire of these things!  You are doing great!  Congrats!
Tonya0531
on 5/9/11 12:47 am - Lake, MS
Every day will get a little easier and you will start to feel better!  Glad you are doing well.
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
andrea S.
on 5/9/11 2:15 am - PA
I am glad to hear you are okay now!!

I have heard about gall bladder issues in the past- is it normal for them to take it out during surgery?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 175 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 371 views
Recent Topics