Financing...

Jeanie B.
on 5/11/11 5:19 am - TX
Ok, So I just found out that my insurance will only cover anout half the total cost of my RNY. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this, and if so, how did you go about financing the remaining portion? Are there any special programs out there? My hospital has some options, but they are for people with no coverage. Any advise is greatly appriciated.

Jeanie B.

Ladytazz
on 5/11/11 5:36 am
It sounds like you have talked with your hospital.  My hospital has a financial aid program that reduces my portion after insurance and takes payments.  It is based on total income.  Are they willing to do that?

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

twooten
on 5/11/11 6:20 am - Loveland, CO
 i heard of a thing called care credit that you can get to cover the rest of it. its like a loan but easy to get for medical programs
Tami HW: 288 / SW: 273 / SG: 187 GOAL REACHED / PG: 160
G.I.Jane
on 5/11/11 7:58 am
Call me radical, but can you save up for this so you're not still paying off the surgery in 5 years?

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown.

SelfPay
on 5/11/11 9:17 am
My insurance and my wife's insurance wont pay for the RNY.  I'm not getting any younger.  I had money saved in a 401k.  I didnt want to use 401k funds but frankly, I want to make it to the finish line enjoying my final work years and retirement even if it means I'm a Greeter at Wall Mart and eating beans because my 401k is now $24k short. 

I thought about financing as well but in the end, I cashed in some 401k funds.  I had to pre-pay the full meal deal 10 days ahead of surgery.  I watch them swipe my American Express card for $24k and saw it come back approved.  A few days later, I paid off the AMEX.

Having said the above, there is some risk as a self pay person.  The $24k doesnt cover complications etc., should there be any, as this medical group doesnt offer the insurance to cover complications but alot do.  I have tremendous faith in my Surgeon, my current health and my god to see me through this without complications and drama.

I have to be at the hospital at 6AM tomorrow morning for my RNY.  Onward...
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 383 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 14 replies · 66 views
Recent Topics