RNY after Molina band...want to hear your experiences with either

flyonthewall
on 5/12/11 11:25 pm
Hello. This is my first post.....so I will give a little background about myself.

I had a gastric segmentation (non adjustable Molina band) in 1995.  I weighed 370 day of surgery.  The surgery was an absolute Godsend for me.  It changed my life.  I lost all the way down to 195.  I stayed there until about 2002.  I gained up to 215, and stayed there until 2007.  The doctor had said I would lose to my lowest weight, then gain 20-30 lbs.  He said if I wanted to lose that 20-30, I would need to diet and exercise regularly.  In 2007, I put on a few pound here and there until I was at 225. I just wasn't staying as full as I once had.  I would eat small amounts, but within an hour or so, I was hungry again.   By 2009, we were considering having a baby.  I was having lots of reflux.  I knew Dr. Molina had passed away.  I started searching for a doctor I could follow up with to ensure everything with the band was ok, and would not complicate a pregnancy.  I found that virtually no surgeons would see Dr. Molina's patients.  I called several.  As soon as they found out I had had him as a surgeon, I was promptly told "We are sorry.  We don't see "his" patients." 
     I went to the doctor in Houston who took over the practice of Dr. molina.  He did am esophagogram and said there was no evidence that there was even a band there.  He said I should not be feeling any resistance at all. The barium apparently just went right on through very quickly.   He said that the resistance I was feeling  was all probably psychosomatic, and that when I was ready I should let him remove the old dacron band and replace it with a Goretex band.  I told him we were going to concentrate on a baby, and then I would consider it.  I asked him for an EGD so I could make sure the band had not eroded to the inside of my esophagus.   The EGD showed nothing out of the ordinary. 
     SHortly after that, we conceived our precious little boy.  I only gained 18 lbs with pregnancy.  I lost it as soon as he was born.  However, he turned a year old yesterday.  I have gained 20 lbs since his birth.  :(  I am up to 245.  I have been really upset about the way I look, the way my clothes fit.  I have been trying really hard to exercise and cut out any unnecessary calories.  I cannot budge from 245. 
    About 5 months ago, I was talking to my cousin who is a PA for a bariatric surgeon in Dallas.  Her surgeon would not see me, either, but referred me to someone who would see me.  I went to see him, and he said it is not safe to remove the Molina band.  It needs to be cut out.  He recommended to RNY.  He is very knowledgeable about Molina bands, possibly troubles that may be on the inside once he goes in there, etc.   I went through the 3 month counseling, dietician, etc.  We finally have a surgery date.  End of June. 

So that brings me here asking you dear people for input.  I would love to hear from anyone who has had ANY revision after a Molina band.  Anyone who has had complications from the Molina band.  Anyone who has had a RNY so I can discuss what to expect (good or bad).  I am a nurse, and on my floor we see a lot of bariatrics......but not RNY's.  We see bands and sleeves.  I have done my reading on the RNY, but I want to talk to individuals who have experienced.  I am nervous about the procedure, but I am even more nervous about weighing 370 again.  :(   When I had my original surgery, I didn't have the internet to do research onthe surgeon.  I have read many negative things about Dr. M.  My present surgeon is stellar and I am confident things will go well.  (I am praying for that!)  Thank you for reading, sorry about the long post.
laura_vermont
on 5/13/11 3:39 am
I've never heard of a Molina band, but there are many folks here who are revisions from lap-band.  Their experiences might be similar enough to give you an idea of what to expect. 

I just wanted to welcome you!  And also let you know that GERD/refux was a huge problem for me pre-op and that it was completely cured at the time of my RNY.  I hope it works as well for you.

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

flyonthewall
on 5/13/11 5:06 am
Thank you so much for replying, and the warm welcome.  The Molina band is usually referred to that because he is the surgeon that placed it.  It's actually just a non adjustable dacron band.  Later he used Goretex. 

I was happy to see you had the RNY, and that your start weight was about where mine is.  You have lost to where I hope to.  Although the surgeon says mt probable weight will be 160-170. 
Does the procedure affect your bowel habits?  I was wondering if the bypass causes loose stool.  I sort of hope it does cause some change in my habits, as I have a lifelong problem with constipation. 
How long were you off of work after surgery? 
How long was your hospital stay?
I have asked my doctor these things, but again I want to hear real people's experiences. 

Thank you again for replying.  Any info or tips would be considered welcome and helpful.  I have 6 weeks to get  fully prepared. 
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/11 5:21 am - SC
I found this link with info about the Molina band and revisions.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/failed_wls_second_time_around/4090872/Information-about-the-Molina-Gastric-band/action,replies/topic_id,4090872/page,1/

Maybe that will help some.  I was curious what it was so googled. 

My bowel habits are kind of hit and miss after surgeon.  One day I'll have loose stools then not go for a few days.  The first few weeks you may be constipated just because the amount of solids you will be eating is pretty minimal.  I don't work so I can't answer that one for you.  My husband was home 2 weeks and then I went back to caring for our daughter full-time.  I've had complications from do so though and fortunately a friend is watching her for the next week so I can recover a bit more. My hospital stay was 2 nights.  I had to pass a leak test 24 hours after surgery and then they had me on clear liquids for 24 hours after that to see how I did.  I went home 48 hours after I had surgery.  Recovery wasn't too bad until I started lifting my daughter.  Technically most people are told not to lift for 4-6 weeks, but I had no choice so that was my fault and not related to anything the surgeon did.
flyonthewall
on 5/13/11 10:51 am
Thank you for the link, and for posting.  That is good to know that it could help my bowel problems.  When I briefly mentioned it to my surgeon at the initial consult, he didn't seem to think it would help with that.  If you don't mind.....what are your complications?  Your little one looks a little older than mine (mine's a year)!  My doc said hospital stay would be two nights.  Thanks again for posting, and please keep me updated on your progress!  Gwen
nana2boys
on 5/13/11 5:30 pm
I had the molina band in 1990 and he made it to small.  I dropped down to 104 and could not eat.  Everything came up including water.  He redid it and made the opening a little larger.  I gain to 132 aned felt great.  In 1999 it had to be removed because of the complications it caused.  over the next couple of years, I developed horrible acid reflux with caused me to have Legenthy Barrettes Esoph.  I have to get scopes every year for it.  I had to take b-12 injections and still do today. nMy iron level dropped to 5.3 and I took 18 injections, (once a week) and when that did not help, I had to take iron by iv.  The reflux also caused damage to my lungs when I would asperate the acid into my lungs.  Pneumonia and asthma resulted.  Lots of little things went wrong and as I said, in 1999 Dr. Abramient in Tyler, removed it for me.  Of course, I did gain all my weight back.

Because I still have acid reflux so bad, I will be having the bypass soon to stop the acid.  If I don't have it, The drs told me I would be on oxygen within the next 8 years. 

Because of them being in my tummy 3 times as well as having a large hiatal hernia and an abdominal hernia, the Drs in Tyler will not do my surgery.  I am being sent to Dr. Kuhn in Dallas.  I say him May 6 and he thinks he can help me.  Of course with the bypass I will lose weight as well. 

Dr. Kuhn wants an endoscopy done as my last report showed mild dyplasia and which I will have Mon. and then on tues and wed, he wants a neuclear stress test.  When he gets the results, they will set my date.  He is rated as one of the best in Texas and the Nation as well.
He specializes in high risk cases.  Check him out.  It's Joseph Kuhn, M.D.  Baylor hospital, Dallas.

Also, just know that all dr molinas records have been destroyed.  I have not heard of anyone who did not have problems from this surgery.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics