Question about "Oh Yeah!"

Sandra K.
on 5/13/11 3:11 pm
What can yall tell me about a ready to drink protein shake called 'Oh Yeah!"  I ordered a sample online and find that it is the tastiest protein meal replacement I've tried.  I'm skeptical of the clinic's estimation that it isn't as good a protein as the meal replacement they sell. 
SweetGirl11
on 5/13/11 6:46 pm
The best form of protein for us gastric bypass folks is whey protein isolate.  Oh Yeah has a protein blend (Milk Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate).  This may be why the clinic said it isn't as good a protein.

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/13/11 8:59 pm - OH
I would be skeptical as well.  Although AMy is correct that this uses a blend of protein sources, and is not straight whey protein isolate (and MIGHT be the reason for your clinic's position), it IS all milk-based whey protein, which means it is FINE for us to use... and I would also be EXTREMELY suspicious that they are pushing something THEY sell.  After all, no matter how much we want to think that the poeple who are involved in our health care are there becuase they care about us personally (and the individual people probably DO), the bottom line for the bean-counters and owners is how much money they make, and you can bet your butt that they are making money on the supplements and any vitamins they sell.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amy R.
on 5/13/11 10:06 pm
Not me this time Lora, lol!  It was Michelle!  I think you were thinking about the last post.    =)

For the record, I totally agree with you.  The only thing bad I have ever heard or even have bad to say about Oh Yeah! products is that they are highly addictive (for me anyway and some others I've heard of). 

I would be cautious about claims from an office that has a vested interest in another product.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/14/11 8:24 am - OH
Oops... sorry about that...  you both have avi's with cartoon characters and a gold background, so when I was replying, I mixed up the avi's!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

avidreader
on 5/13/11 10:39 pm - Cary, NC
I have used these on occassion when I have been out shopping or something and needed protein.  They are expensive and I personally don't LOVE the taste, but can tolerate it.  I think they are a much better choice than some other things you can grab on the run.  I have also bought a few before to take on trips because they travel easy.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
purr
on 5/14/11 1:33 am
I was addicted to the candy I mean protein bars before surgery and can't wait till off of this soft food so I can have one once in a while. Hubby loves them and its better for him than a regular candy bar

TamaraL
on 5/14/11 2:37 am

I use the oh yeah shakes frequently.  But a lot of people do not recommend them because they are hight in fat.  My theory is that we need some fat in our diet.  I love the taste. The first 3 months of my revision some days I could drink, other days couldnt stand the taste.  Not sure why.  I have drank these for couple of years. 

Tamara

Sandra K.
on 5/16/11 6:43 am
Thanks everyone for the responses to my question.  I feel somewhat better about using the Oh Yeah.  I will use some of what the clinic recommends as well as some of the Oh Yeah and see how things progress. 
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 254 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 295 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views
Recent Topics