How much protein in one setting is too much?

Craig C.
on 5/14/11 12:24 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hi all

I just got out of the hospital 2 days ago and my doc said he wanted me getting in at least 40 grams of protein a day. My quesion is I have purchased EAS Myoplex  shakes because they have 42 grams of protein. If I drink the whole shake am I waisting a certain amount of protein because the body can only take so much protein in one sitting, or will this one shake be enough to get my total 40 grams for the day of protein. I am not sure about this.  I am happy to drink half for breakfast and half for lunch if it is a waste to drink it all at once. I guess I am just confused and would appreciate anyone's input.

Thanks!

Craig

_Donna_
on 5/14/11 12:28 am
Our systems can't absorb more than 30 gram at a time

RNY 5-5-2011

monkmoses
on 5/14/11 3:15 am, edited 5/14/11 3:15 am - Valyermo, CA
 Acording to the Nutritional Guidelines from the ASMBS:

One popular myth is that only 30 g/hr of protein can be absorbed. Although this is commonly found in both lay and some professional reports, there is no scientific basis for this claim.

We absorb ALL the proein we consume.

The same report states that a newbie requires a min of 70g of protein a day.
MarilynT
on 5/15/11 1:23 am
Yes, but getting that at 3 days post op may be difficult.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/11 12:29 am - Missoula, MT
My nurse told me anything more than 30 grams in a sitting is too much.
Dave Chambers
on 5/14/11 12:31 am - Mira Loma, CA

40g or protein is about half of what my surgeon recommended.  Personally, I normally used to take my protein supplements in 25-30g per shake, or that amount of unflavored protein mixed into hot cereal, SF pudding, or other foods.  I'd either break it up into 2 separate drinks, or sip the shake over an hour or so.  You might ask you surgeon, as you're supposed to use his protocol. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Kim26
on 5/14/11 1:50 am, edited 5/14/11 1:51 am
My surgeon wants 75-80 grams per day for the first five weeks...i usually get about sixty of those grams from shakes -two per day - and the rest from food. I have heard anywhere from 20-30 grams is all the body can absorb in one sitting.

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
Craig C.
on 5/14/11 2:04 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thanks everyone for clearing this up for me.  I guess I will split the shake into breakfast and lunch that way I am only drinking 21 grams of protein in one setting.  Thank you so much for all your responses and advice!

Sincerely

Craig

remembrtherain
on 5/14/11 2:23 am - San Francisco, CA
if you're sipping the shake throughout the day, or even throughout a few hours, it should break up the protein a bit. If you're only 2/3 days out, you should just be sipping anyway...so, i shake should last you awhile, no? If not, just ignore my comment, but, I can't even clear a bottle of water, let alone a shake in an hour...

Good luck!! Keep us posted!
Britski5
on 5/14/11 7:28 am - IL
 Hey, I am new to this site, but my surgery is actually scheduled on Tuesday! 
But I have been having the EAS Myoplex Lite shakes for my pre opt liquid diet. My Nutritionist and Surgeon both have told me that they do not recommend those shakes for post opt, however they do highly recommend the Isopure Zero Carb or the protein blitz shakes. 
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 325 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?