Thinking of a charity idea and looking for feedback

EmbryLynn
on 5/15/11 12:18 am - New Haven, MI
Good morning everyone!!

I'm looking in to starting a local charity for bariactric patients or people who have had any medical procedure that resulted in weight loss. 

All of us know how hard it is to keep up with the cost of clothes and replacing your wardrobe as you loose.  I'm sure all of use consignment stores (I will admit, even almost being at goal, the Salvation Army is still my favorite store) to buy our clothes as we go through this journey.   I want to start a donation type center that will allow us to donate, exchange and pick up clothes for free.  These are hard times and I think that so many people going through this process or any other medical procedure that could result in weightloss, such as chemo - have medical bills coming out the wazoo...could really benefit from this. 

Does anyone know of anyone doing this in your area?  Is it well received?  Any negative thoughts?  I would love some feedback to this idea....It may take a lot of work to start but the benefits would pay off in the long run if it takes off.

Let me know any ideas, feedback - positive or negative.

Thank you!!!
Embry

ToriRaye
on 5/15/11 12:33 am - FL
 I think this is a great idea.  I was thinking yesterday as I walked past my closet of finding a way to send my clothes in the sizes I will soon not be able to wear to other GBP or WLS patients so they have something to wear during their loss.  It doesn't make sense to have a new wardrobe each level and I thought this was something we could do for each other.. 

I really like the idea.  Based on shipping costs - I believe it should be something done within the area close to a persons home...otherwise shipping would be too much.  

Don't focus on where you are - Focus on where you want to be!
DisneyLover
on 5/15/11 12:36 am - WI
my surgeons office does a clothing exchange 4 times a year.  you can trade in your big clothes for smaller ones that others have grown out of.

I would say start with talking with your surgeons office or maybe someone at the local hospital.  Maybe their volunteer group could help too.

Sarah

EmbryLynn
on 5/15/11 1:10 am - New Haven, MI
Excellent idea...I am going to go to my surgeons office support group meeting for June - I will start there and start looking on the internet as well. Thank you so much!!!!
shellbell75
on 5/15/11 2:15 am
There is something online like that for kids. I think you just pay shipping in a FRB.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

EmbryLynn
on 5/15/11 2:21 am - New Haven, MI
Just read about a good idea - holding it as a clothing swap - you suggest you take home as many items as you donate and open it up to those who just want to donate and those who donate and exchange clothes - include accessories too....this way it opens it up to many instead of a few....getting good good ideas!!

avidreader
on 5/15/11 4:12 am - Cary, NC
My surgeon's support group does this too - if you bring 5 items you can take up to 5 items.  I never leave with anything but I love to clean out my closet and take things for others.   I like the accessories idea - belts, scarves, even shoes - I went down a whole shoe size!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
princessfrogee
on 5/15/11 6:06 am - AL
http://www.ehow.com/how_5687696_organize-bariatric-clothing- exchange.html

I just stumbled across this article looking for some other stuff and thought I would share it.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404