support please

awynndream
on 5/15/11 6:48 am - Windsor, Canada
I had my surgery febuary 2010. I've lots 141lbs. According to the books and articles I've read that is more then I was expected to lose, but I feel as though I haven't lost enough. I've followed all the rules, slipping up occasionally but nothing serious and not often. I eat healthy. I just joined a gym. I started out at 361lbs and now I am 220lbs. Can I expect to lose more? If I work out alot and continue to eat right, will I lose more? I know this may seem like a silly question but i've had mixed answers. I asked a few different people that say now i won't lose anymore weight and anything i do is just maitanence.
MastoDon
on 5/15/11 7:00 am - Los Gatos, CA
You can lose more.  Of course, the rate at which you continue to drop poundage will slow from the precipitous decline in the months immediately after your surgery, but depending upon your activity level and the faithfulness with which you maintain good eating habits, three or four pounds a month is not impossible.
I think you can expect more frequent "plateaus" in your weight loss this far out.  And don't forget that, again depending upon how active you've become, you may have substituted muscle for fat in certain places and so even if the scale doesn't show it, you can be making progress.
Congratulations of your accomplishments to this point.  And good luck with your continued journey.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

Nan2008
on 5/15/11 7:02 am - Midland, MI
First of all congratulations on losing 141 lbs!!  Great job! 

You can continue to lose more if you continue to be mindful of what you are eating and continue to work out.  Yes, the 'honeymoon' period is when you lose the weight the fastest and it seems to just melt off, but that doesn't mean you can't lose past that point.  Just keep your eye on your goal weight and keep working towards that goal. 

There is nothing magic that says you will stop losing once you hit the 18 months out point or once you lose 75% of your excess weight.  Although you may have to work a little harder than you did at 3 months or 6 months out, you can still lose weight!

Best of luck to you!!

Nan

HW 300
/ SW 280 / CW 138 /
GW 140
Hit Goal 4/2/2010

poet_kelly
on 5/15/11 7:05 am - OH
Yes, you can lose more.  What's your BMI  now?  I think you can expect to reach a normal BMI if you exercise and eat right.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/15/11 7:16 am - Windsor, Canada
Typically it is quoted as 18 months that your body will work to lose the weight for you (the time that malabsorption is still in play) up to the 2 year mark. 

After that you are pretty much like everyone else (with the bonus of restriction although you can eat more than you could at the 6 month out, 12 months out mark etc).

You become like everyone else.  Do people still lose weight? Absolutely. You become eventually like everyone else on the planet that you will have to work the whole portion control, willpower, calorie intake/calorie expenditure equation.  

It's going to be much harder typically the further out you are.  I can still lose weight at almost 5 years out, but I can also gain it too.  

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

awynndream
on 5/15/11 7:21 am - Windsor, Canada
Thank you all. I thought that i could still lose if i tried to, but guess I just needed to hear it from others. I would like to get to 170lbs, and I am 220. I've lost a lot and like myself a lot better now and feel a lot healthier, but still would like to try hard to lose more.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 262 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics