So scared, protein shakes and seizure

nyjenson
on 5/15/11 3:48 pm - Stockton, CA
I had RNY on april 29th and have been doing pretty good with drinking my protine shakes but a couple of nights ago it changed and I felt like my guts were being pulled out after drinking it... so I thought maybe I drank it to fast so the next morning I made my shake and only got in about 3 ounces (very slowly) and the pain after was so intense I called my surgeon and he told me to go to the ER. My husband drove me to the ER which is a couple towns over and as soon as I got out of the car and began walking into the ER, the pain was gone and my hands went numb and started to tingle and i felt like out of body. My husband was parking the car so I walked up to the window and the lady was asking my information and in the middle of telling her my SSN I had a seizure... I have never had a seizure before and cannot think of when I was that terrified before. I have not drank a protein shake since then and now I dont know what to do... they did a CT scan and found nothing wrong so here I am and terrified of drinking my protein... does anyone have any advice?

Thank you,

-N
immafatgirl
on 5/15/11 6:28 pm - KY
WOW, COULD IT HAVE BEEN SOME KIND OF ALLERGIC REACTION TO SOMETHING? that is a lil scary. they could not tell you why , you had a seizure? have you been taking in the same protein shakes you have all along? id get a second opinion on that ... that is so weird . wish i could help you out . i hope someone can come on with some answers for you . hopefully that will NEVER happen again.
seattledeb
on 5/15/11 6:35 pm
A protein shake shouldn't cause a seizure. Did they do labs? Have you been back to the doctor?
You NEED protein.
Deb T.

Cherylkas
on 5/15/11 11:05 pm - PA
 if you had a seizure get yourself to a nuerologist. They are the ones better equiped to tell you why you had one. They will probably want to do a EEG and An MRI to figure it all out. Both are no pain tests as my son has epilepsy and he gets them every 6 months.
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

angieh299
on 5/15/11 11:32 pm

Try getting your potassium and sodium levels tested. I had arm seizures in the hospital after the surgery because my sodium levels were too low.

nyjenson
on 5/16/11 3:25 am - Stockton, CA
 I had blood work and a CT, they basicly just told me I had to see my primary doctor because that is handled in an "out patient" setting... which made no sense to me. I ordered a bunch of samples of different protine that I hope will be here within a week but I will not be drinkig the same stuff I was, I am just to scared... and ya this is the same protine drink I have been drinking the whole time, the only difference is that it is a brand new tub of the stuff, maybe that is the difference, im not sure... I have not been to see my doctor again yet, I have to wait until i can get a ride to see him because it is a few towns over and I do not feel comfortable driving so far right now. 
unewillow
on 5/16/11 3:33 am - CT
Are you staying hydrated? Did they check electrolytes? Both can cause seizure activity.

It may not have even been a seizure, some people when they pass out have what's called myoclonic jerks and a lot of times people mistakenly think it's seizure activity when it's not.

Regardless of the situation, call your surgeon and tell him what happened in the ER.

You need protein, but if there's something in the protein mix you are drinking that's making you sick you may need to switch brands.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 773 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 386 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 505 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 282 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 280 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?