I was so close and we lost our insurance.....

Lulu22
on 5/18/11 10:33 am - Hillsboro, OR
So I was about a month or two away from having the RNY and my husband lost his job....no more insurance. So now I am looking toward Dr. Joya in Mexico. So if anyone has info on him or has had surgery done by him please give me any info you can.

thanks
Melanie (LuLu22)

Carrie W.
on 5/18/11 10:36 am - KY
I am so sorry. You and your hubby are in my thoughts.

This *almost* happened to me. I got laid off two DAYS before I had surgery. Luckily I'd banked enough time to keep my insurance for a couple more months. Now on to Cobra ....

I have no advice about Mexico but there are lots of people here who went there to have surgery.

Nan2008
on 5/18/11 10:44 am - Midland, MI
Can you pay the premium to keep your insurance through COBRA so that you can have your surgery? Usually you can continue insurance through COBRA for up to 18 months I think?

I am sorry your husband lost his job.

Good luck to you!

Nan

HW 300
/ SW 280 / CW 138 /
GW 140
Hit Goal 4/2/2010

wife2denizmoi
on 5/18/11 10:47 am
Hi, So sorry to hear about your hubby's job. Its really tough out there right now. Before I had my lap band surgery 2 years ago, I was laid off and had to go on cobra for  a few months. I did it for three months, got the surgery, then 2 months during recovery, then I dropped it and hubby got another job with insurance. It was expensive, but well worth it and probably cheaper than going to Mexico.  Good luck.

-HeidiG (Wife2denizmoi) 

Lulu22
on 5/18/11 10:48 am - Hillsboro, OR
Cobra wanted almost 800$ a month to keep it up. There was no way my husband was the bread winner and even with unemployment we couldn't make it happen. So now I am looking into Mexico. I have also heard good things but I would love to hear from some people!
Melanie (LuLu22)

dancingdaisy
on 5/18/11 11:06 am - Canada
How is mexico cheaper? A few months of cobra is certainly less than the 6-10k to have it done in mexico...
SHEILA4
on 5/18/11 11:13 am - NEWTON, TX
I know where u are comming from. I lost my insurance  a month after my surgery. I still havent found a job with insurance and it is just me. I have to beleive that god will keep his hands on me til i can get a job with insurance again. I havent even been able to have my first round of blood work done to see if i any of my levels are low. They wanted right at $1000 a month for cobra i have no job how cculd i have kept it. So i so know where you are comming from.
brwneyz
on 5/18/11 11:31 am
I'm confused too...
Your finances are your business, but do you have the money to go down to Mexico right now and pay cash?  Is there a deal with this guy that I don't know about?
Wife to Lawrence since July 4, 2003.
Nathan June 16, 2005   Haylee October 7, 2009  
Getting help so I can live long with him and raise them to be the best they can be!                

princessfrogee
on 5/18/11 12:03 pm - AL

This happened to me last summer.  My husbands previous job would have covered up to $10,000 on the surgery and I was almost done with my 6 mos of weigh-ins, had already seen the psych and the dietician....then bam!  His company lost their bid on their contract and told him they couldn't guarantee him a job.  His new job's insurance didn't cover it at all so I began to feel this just wasnt' meant to be.  My husband is a government contractor and was tax exempt for being overseas and when we got our tax return back my husband tells me to schedule my surgery.  Our taxes covered most of it and we took out a small loan for the remainder of it.  I feel so blessed to have my husband support me so much in this.

Not sure if you are interested, or able, but we did our loan through carecredit.com and you can apply online or call them 1-866-893-7864 and apply.  They have various plans you can opt for. 

Don't give up!  If it is meant to be for you, it will come through somehow when you lease expect it.

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
fran_pa
on 5/18/11 12:20 pm - PA
This happened to me.  I was in month 6 of my pre-diet and my husband lost his job (I work as a contract employee, no benefits).  My Cobra alone would have been about $825.  We debated it for months, but on top of the job loss, PA held up his unemployment (because he was employed by a CA company and worked from home).  His unemployment is just starting to come in.  Anyway, he did find a new job two months later with insurance that kicked in the day he started.  I kept my Bariatric Clinic aware of everything, and we were down to the wire on the last possible day I could still pay Cobra and made the decision to wait and see if the new insurance would work.  We literally got the insurance card and the paperwork in on a Wednesday and I got approval that Friday.  I was shocked.  I truly thought they were go to say pre-existing or something and make me wait another 6 months.  I took the first available date (3 weeks after approval) before anyone could change their mind.

I hope everything works out  for you and hang in there.

--Fran

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 134 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views