Socializing as a new post op.

bluek
on 5/18/11 2:38 am - Austin, TX

It sucks!  I can't believe how much my friends do that revolves around food. The weekend was tough - I had two birthday parties to attend, and the weather was gorgeous so one afternoon everyone went and sat outside... at a bar... that serves tons of greasy fried foods. I made it through - kept getting up to walk around, especially when the nachos and wings came to the table.

Last night my girlfriends all got together to go to a "girlie movie" night at one of our cool local theaters.  They serve amazing food and drinks.  I am on purees, and though they'd at least have a soup or something for me to have while everyone else stuffed their faces.  Lo and behold, there was not a single thing on the entire menu for me to get - not even any sugar free drink or anything.  I had intended to bring something in my purse to snack on, but didn't have time, so I just sat there with my water and tried not to breathe through my nose when the pizza/chicken tenders/warm cookies showed up. Ugh. It sucked. I was distracted the entire movie. 

Sadly, I am now dreading this weekend. When I'm working, at home, or by myself, I am doing great!  But when I am in those situations, I feel sad that I can't eat, frustrated that I can't participate, hungry, and just overall crap.  It has also made me realize how disordered my eating was before - if there was a plate of cookies, I could never ever eat just a bite, or just one - but my friends are all able to do that.  It feels good to be in control, but on the other hand it makes me sad that I needed surgery to be in control.  

Blech. 

JudiJudi T
on 5/18/11 2:56 am
Just remember that this is temporary ... you will eventually get to the point where you can go out and enjoy these things with your friends (in moderation, of course).  Until then always keep a protein bar in your purse so you have a snack on hand (you can chew it to a puree if you have to).  It's tough early out, that's for sure, but it will be worth it in the end.  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

Carrie W.
on 5/18/11 3:01 am - KY
Like Judi says, this phase will be over soon.

For me what has helped is planning ahead. I knew I was going to eat out last night and I knew about where we were going to eat. I boosted my protein for breakfast and lunch and made sure my calories were fairly low. So I had some wiggle room on my plan for what I could eat. I also knew what I was going to have and that helped some. Still when we sat down and a nice crispy pile of wontons was put before me, I had to have them take it back, lol. Luckily my friend is 100% supportive and didn't want them anyway.

Just know that you can eat out eventually and it's not too bad!
Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/18/11 3:02 am - Baltimore, MD
I remember those days and yes LORD they are tough, aren't they?

I'm proud of you for several reasons.

First, you dealt. I don't know that everyone could say they do.

Second, you are talking about your feelings. That's a good habit to start.

As for tips for the future...mmmmm...I would say try to remember to bring something for yourself to social gatherings but also, I had a rule when I was new out. It went sort of like this:

"In order for me to stay on track, each bad eating choice had to be met with an equally or greater tasting healthy choice."

So that is to say...don't fight hot wings with carrot sticks (even though you are on pureeds you get my point). It just doesn't work.

As for bars...usually they have unsweetened iced tea. Always carry Splenda with you. Or pick up a bottle of MiO at Wal-Mart and order some ice water. That's what I do to this day!

Movies are a bit tougher. But even then I have a plan. Pack a few cheese sticks, when you can have them roasted edamame works great as a crunchy substitute.

Hugs and it does get easier.
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/11 3:33 am
I remember you!!! From 2006? Your daddy & brother had the show "Big Medicine"?? Is that right? I used to love that show. How's everybody doing?
Tessmama_of4
on 5/18/11 4:17 am
I know the feeling way to much!! I have a husband and 4 small children and I have to cook for them every single night. It is so tempting to lick the spoon or to just have a bite. But I don't!!! It is sick to think of how much I love food!!!! Then to think when ever I go to town I would stop at fast food and now have to drive right on by or watch them eat it:( It is very hard but keep up the great work as well as I am trying I am only 3 weeks out. I am craving foods and more hungry now when I see the foods. Later on we will be able to have some food we like i am sure.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 282 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?