What vitamins are you taking ?

ahmerzrealm
on 5/21/11 2:07 am - Naperville, IL
I have heard a lot of people say they take Biotin. Is that something that we must take as well. My surgeon didnt mention anything aout it.

i take the following

Multivitamins
Iron
Calcium Citrate
B-100

I additonally take

Probiotics
Antioxidants
Fish Oil

Is there anything you folks take that is not on my list above. I would welcome your comments and suggestion on this.

poet_kelly
on 5/21/11 2:52 am - OH
Do you mean B12, not B100?

We don't have to take biotin, no, Some people think it will help prevent hair loss.  I'm not convinced but it sure won't hurt if you want to try.

I take:

multivitamin (2)
calcium citrate
B12 shots
iron with vitamin C

Due to deficiencies, I also take:

vitamin A
D3
B6
zinc

And sometimes I take flaxseed oil, I think it helps my dry skin (It's basically like fish oil but I am a vegetarian)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sunpat41
on 5/21/11 3:52 am
I bought D-3 in soyoil is that the wrong one
                        HW 250/ SW 246 CW 137

poet_kelly
on 5/21/11 4:10 am - OH
Yeah.  We need dry D3, because we  malabsorb fats, meaning we don't absorb vitamins in oil very well.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MastoDon
on 5/21/11 3:00 am - Los Gatos, CA
I'm no expert, as will probably be the case with just about everyone *****plies to this query.  That said, I did have RNY about 11 months ago and have lost around 125 pounds.  I've had comprehensive blood work done at just about two month intervals since my surgery, and with very few exceptions my numbers have always been solidly in the green.
I take two Centrum multivitamin tablets and four Citracal tablets every day, half at breakfast and half at dinner.  I take a sublingual B12 twice a week.  For the duration of one bottle (120 tablets) I took two fish oil capsules daily when I thought it might have some effect on my hair loss.  I also take a couple of D3 tablets before bed each night, along with an Avodart and Flomax for prostate issues.
My doc never said a thing about having to take iron supplements, and so I never went that way.  I imagine women might have a different need in that regard.  But iron and calcium, taken at around the same time, will compete with one another for absorption.  I'm told that iron always wins, so when taken as supplements there should be a couple of hours between dosing.
I'm not sold on taking antioxidants, apart from what I get naturally in foods.  As for probiotics, I have some Greek yogurt just about every day, but that it the extent of my efforts in that direction.
As I said, my blood work has always come back with great numbers, and I've never felt better.  So as far as I'm concerned, there's no reason the change this regimen until some compelling reasons come along.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

poet_kelly
on 5/21/11 3:09 am - OH
Calcium is the one that always wins, not iron.

If your labs say you are getting enough iron, then you don't need to take more.  Most people do need to take some.  Even most men do after RNY due to malabsorption.  But we should all go by our labs.

vitalady
on 5/21/11 2:09 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
How many vials of blood? You're missing so many things, my guess is that no one is testing everything.

Everyone needs iron, eventually. It's not what happens below the waist that makes the difference. It's the malabsorption.

You don't absorb oil, so anything taken in oil just never happened at all! Your D, dry?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Christina135
on 5/21/11 5:22 am
Here's my daily intake...

Four multi vitamins (chewable Centrum)
Eight calcium citrate (citrical petites)
One B 12 Sublingual
One Vit D
Two Biotin
Two probiotic capsules
One Iron (Feosol)
One Vit C

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

poet_kelly
on 5/21/11 6:20 am - OH
Why so many Centrum?

Christina135
on 5/23/11 4:17 am
Short answer?  I dunno! 

I think it's because I take my calcium four times a day, so I take one chewable Centrum at the same time.

So far, I've been good on my labs.  I was only low on Vit D once (at very beginning) and after the vitamin therapy, I've been good.

For now, it seems to be working.  I just had my two year follow up and everything was normal.  In fact, she said my B12 was high! I figured I'll take it, as opposed to being low.

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views