sugar free carnation breakfast

roxie46
on 5/22/11 3:39 pm
hi . i just had my surgery May 17th. while in the hospital they gave me sudar free carnation breakfast for my shake. now that i am home i search for some but only found no sugar added carnation breakfast. of  course i did not buy any since it did not say sugar free. does anyone know where i could find them. Wal-mart does not have them. if any one found them please let me know, they are great tasting and the chocolate u can drink it hot. thanks    Roxanne
WeightinToGetOut
on 5/22/11 3:48 pm - IN

Hi Roxanne, I believe the SF and no Sugar Added carnation instant breakfast are the same.  Did you check the package info from the ones you received at the hospital?  For me it was impossible to find this product in my area.  Walmart, Target, Sams, even the local grocery chains did not carry it.  I could only find the regular Carnation Instant Breakfast with all the sugar, etc...

I hope you find what you need and congrats on your surgery. Welcome to the losers bench!

KARLA

roxie46
on 5/22/11 8:08 pm
thank you for your response. no i did not check the content of the one they gave me at the hospital because they had the drinks made for us at our meal time, but i checked ones that stated no sugar added and the regular ones. they were very high in sugar alcohol or natural sugars. the only stores i did check were wal mart and walgreen but walgreen dont sell that at all and walmart had the ones with no sugar added. the no sugar added was almost the same as with sugar.
seattledeb
on 5/22/11 4:28 pm
I think they say no sugar added because there is lactose sugar from the milk solids..so they can't legally say "sugar free"
I had this early postop. I would also mix in dry non fat milk powder..double milk as it were to really increase the protein. Not as good as some protein shakes but I could tolerate it.
Take care
Deb T.

roxie46
on 5/22/11 8:11 pm
thank you deb
Price S.
on 5/22/11 9:34 pm - Mills River, NC
I have used several different proteins to make hot chocolate with no problems.  I use a 25 calorie Swiss Miss mix, 1 scoop of chocolate protein and water.  Heat the water in the microwave (or milk for extra protein) mix the protein and SM in about 1/3c warm water to a slurry.  Then add to the ho****er.  I have one almost every night.  I do the same thing with vanilla protein to use as creamer in my decaf.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

princessfrogee
on 5/22/11 10:15 pm - AL
http://www.nestlenutritionstore.com/bariatric-surgery-diet-n utrition.asp

I think they only have the "no sugar added".  I pulled up their website to see and they actually have a tab for post-bariatric patients and the Carnation Instant breakfast wasn't on there, they listed some of their other products.

My surgeon recommended that for pre-op liquid diet.  If you have trouble with the amount of sugar in there, you  may be able to get the sugar free hot chocolate and add protein powder to it and even get more protein than what the Carnation Inst. Breakfast offers.

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
roxie46
on 5/22/11 10:40 pm
thank you so much, i feel better now knowing that what i was accually drinking was the no sugar added carnation instant breakfast. right now i drink the strawberry flavor super advantage whey protein shakes. but i like the taste of the carnation better than the whey protein powder.
princessfrogee
on 5/22/11 10:28 pm - AL
Just for an FYI...the No Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast Nutrition Facts:  (per packet)

one packet                            w/1 c fat free Vit A&D milk
Calories                                                                   60                                                              150
Total fat         0.5                                                        1%                                                              1%
    Sat Fat          0                                                         1%                                                              2%
    Trans Fat     0                                                          
Sodium             60 mg                                                2%                                                             7%
Potassium       300 mg                                              9%                                                            20%
Total Carb           12 g                                                 4%                                                              8%
Dietary Fiber         4g                                                  15%                                                           15%
Sugars                   7g *
Protein                    5g                                                    9%                                                            26%

* (Footnote: One svg, when mixed w/1 c fat free milk contains 19 g of sugar from  lactose, a natural milk sugar)

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
AddisynsMommy
on 5/23/11 12:10 am - FL
 publix and if they are not there you can have them order them for you =)
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 233 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?