What to bring to the Hospital???

Stephanie_Lynn
on 5/23/11 6:07 am
Hi Everyone,
I am so excited I finally have a date!
June 14th
I have been thinking about what to pack for the hospital & this is my first surgery so I just want to make sure I have thought of everything, 
Another thing i was curious about is if it is ok to wear something in the hospital other than a gown?  
So if anyone could give me some suggestions & or advice it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Stephanie

Bralen
on 5/23/11 6:16 am
The only things I used were Chap-Stik and my phone. I had a drain and an IV so I wore the regular hospital gown and I wore the same clothes home that  wore to the hospital.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
Stephanie_Lynn
on 5/23/11 6:22 am

Ok.
Thank you so much for your input.
I really appreciate it.

mdolan20
on 5/23/11 6:28 am - Brick, NJ
I wish I had a pillow for my tail bone...a cane...and earplugs...other than that I only used my phone.
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 6:40 am
a front closure bra.chap stick and a pillow.these are a couple of things im bringing next week when i have my rny
(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 6:46 am - Boston, MA
 slippers, phone, tooth brush.. I basically sat in a chair sleeping for 3 days I was so out of it.. I barely remember anything!! lol I'm not complaining.. but I did NOT read a book or any other kinds of activities.
Bettisima
on 5/23/11 7:04 am
Phone, charger, chap sick , as far as your ability to wear stuff other than the gowns. You will have a catheder at first, way too many tubes going on. Secondly, you will have drains. And some time the fluids get on your clothing. Wear their gowns. It's just a couple of days and you don't want to mess up your pretty clothes.

Slipper socks, with the grips on the bottom are great, however my hospital provided these so I never unpacked what I brought. Same with the toothbrush, toothpaste and shampoo. They will let you take a shower the second day, and that is glorious

Big thing for me... You will be at least a size bigger when you leave the hospital than you were when you went in. They pump you full of gas and fluids. You need big clothing for the trip home and the first week or two.
Stephanie_Lynn
on 5/23/11 7:28 am
Thanks Everyone.
I really appreciate all the help.
Carrie W.
on 5/23/11 7:40 am - KY
The only thing that I would tell you to definitely not leave home without is a pillow to brace your belly on the way home. I had very, very little pain but the ride home was BAD.
poet_kelly
on 5/23/11 7:53 am - OH
You might want chapstick and might want your phone.

Otherwise, they will have everything you need but take anything you think you'll really want.

Like, they will have toiletries, but I really wanted my own toothbrush and my hairbrush.  Don't bother with makeup or stuff like that, though.

You can wear your own clothes if you want.  You'll have to wear a hospital gown into the OR.  You will most likely have a catheter in for a little while afterwards, so you could wear a nightgown but not pajama bottoms.  You'll have an IV that might get in the way of a top.  You may also leak fluids from your incisions or otherwise mess up your clothes so I personally just wore the gown.  But if you feel you'll be a lot more comfortable in your own clothes, take them.

I took slippers, but they will give you those socks with nonskid bottoms, so just take your slippers if you really like them better than those sock things.

You're not gonna feel like doing much.  You'll mostly be sleeping or up walking.  You might want a book or something to read while you're waiting to go into the OR or if you can't sleep and get bored, but don't take a lot of stuff.  You won't need it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 121 views
Recent Topics