Iron 19, 33 is considered low, what could it be?

Rosestar
on 5/23/11 1:48 am
I am starting iron infusions, the supplements have done nothing. When I drink plain water my stomach is in searing pain, and it will just be in searing pain for no reason. I am so adverse to medical procedures after going through 4 dilations to get my throat open that I can't even imagine my surgeon poking around my intestine for the cause of the blood loss.

This is the same doctor who doesn't believe in pain relievers more then a day post op.

It is barbaric and he tells me there is nothing I can do, no other surgeon will take me.

I am so tired all the time, I can't seem to get ahead of anything, my son is graduating, my best friend is graduating and even holding up my head is an undertaking.

I think it is called blood serum, not iron being 19, unsure.

Help!

Rose

Lap Band --> RNY 3/10/10 Barix, Ypsilanti*5'3*
Re-DiscoveringMe
on 5/23/11 2:07 am

Did your doctor encourage you to do infusions?

I too am exhausted. My NUT ordered a blood test and my iron was measured at 6.2. I asked about an infusion because I have no energy. I was told to double my iron intake first because I'm not yet anemic. The NUTS opinion is that infustions are a last resort. Another NUT at the same clinic who saw my blood results said I didn't need to double my iron so I'm confused about whose advice to follow.

I asked to have the results forwarded to my PCP and will be seeing her this week so I can have this monitored.

AliSarah
on 5/23/11 2:22 am
I have the iron infusions, and I love them. It takes a long time and can be expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it, but my insurance covers it 100% so I go and sit in the chair for 3 hours and get my iron. It's awesome! My ferritin was 3, and my hemoglobin was 6, Now after 4 treatments, my hemoglobin is 11.9 and I haven't gotten my ferritin results back yet, but I'm expecting them to have gone up!!

It could be: That you are not absorbing any iron that you are taking in, that you have a hidden bleed somewhere, that you are having gynecological issues because of hormones or whatever. For me it was the third before and after surgery and the first and third after surgery... The rule out tests for bleeds are colonoscopy and endoscopy, neither of which are incredibly pleasant, but both of which are done under anesthesia so from what I hear, when it is done right, you don't remember anything from them...

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
hedrider
on 5/23/11 3:27 am - Midlothian, TX
What kind of iron are you taking?  I was pretty low (but not keen on infusions) so I added heme iron to my regimine.  I currently take 2 carbonyl and one heme iron a day - and my levels have climbed back into the normal range.

I can't take ferrous sulfate, the most common type iron, it's too constipating and not absorbed well.  That's what most doctor's prescribe or recommend when our iron gets low - and it really doesn't do anything for us.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

DRzieg
on 5/23/11 9:59 am - Thornwood, NY

If you are having searing pain just drinking water or doing NOTHING then it sounds like you have an ulcer, and with that type of exhaustion sounds like you may be bleeding internally.

I almost died of an internal bleed December 2009, a year and 4 months AFTER RNY, with NO outward sign of the bleed (no dark stools, etc.).

If I were you I would discuss this with your doctor and plan to have an ENDO to find out what's going on.  Don't worry they knock you these days for the procedure and it is quite a relaxing experience now.

Best of luck to you,
dolly

AddisynsMommy
on 5/23/11 11:57 am - FL
 My iron is a 4 and they will not do an infusion said i need to wait 3 months then see if its come up. I am taking 650mg of iron a day. it makes me constipated and sick to my stomach. I get confused also b/c before i left the hospital they did an infusion b/c it was a 4!! it sucks b/c i am so exhausted all the time!
Rosestar
on 5/23/11 11:49 pm
Thank you for all the replies. I am getting my brain together to call and make an appointment. He will fit me in and it will be hours of sitting there.

My blood serum is at 19. My general doctor is very concerned that I haven't contacted my surgeon and said she will ask a colleague to do the endoscopy. I feel she thinks I am bleeding internally and have a ulcer.

I have had 4 endo's now to open the opening,they are all awful and I don't like going to sleep at night because of how horrible it is to be drowned during the endo. They don't have a staff anesthestiest (sp) so I get whatever one comes in. The last one also had red hair but acted like she had no idea that red heads need more anesthesia. She was nasty all around. Last thing I wanna see before I am knocked out is an indifferent betch. They are the ones who keep you alive!

Wish me luck I am calling today. I missed an appointment that his very cool and kind nurse made for me.

Rose
Rosestar
on 5/24/11 1:39 am
I have so much love and respect for all the good people here. I got motivated and made an appointment with Dr.Poplawski and also to start the iron infusion this weekend instead of next.

I am so exhausted. My son is graduating. My best friend is getting married.

I crave soap and oranges. Oooh, soap that smells like oranges = win!

We gotta have a sense of humor, right?

R
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?