TMI - BM frequency?

Carrie W.
on 5/24/11 12:04 am - KY
I know that most everybody has to take fiber, stool softeners or laxatives (or some combination) in order to stay regular.  What do you define as regular?  How long will you go until you'll take something like MoM?  The gal who woke up screaming next to me in recovery had had a bowel obstruction.  I do NOT want to go there.  Thanks!
Carla M.
on 5/24/11 12:12 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
I guess I'm fortunate. I have absolutely NO troubles in that area. I go about 2-3 times a day and don't take anything. Every once in a blue moon I will take MoM, if it's been 3 days.
grmadeb01
on 5/24/11 12:39 am - FL
i try to go everday...or else i notice it....but i take a stool softner everyday, have been trying to add in benefiber..just have not gotten to it every day...
have a great day
debby
beatrice00
on 5/24/11 12:42 am - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
I don't take anything and go every day without any issues.

babybooo828
on 5/24/11 12:52 am
 I was watching Dr. Oz the other day and he had a show on poop. He says the least amount of BMs per week should be three. If you have less you need to be concerned. He said more BMs are okay. He said to be concerned about your BM frequency when it changes and there is no reason for it to change. WLS is a reason for it to change. After surgery, it should stabalize to a regular pattern though. He said if you go once a day and suddenly that changes to twice a day or to less often, then you need to be a little concerned and look into it. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/24/11 12:53 am
Daily. At least once a day. If I do not - I get bad headache. 
And I do monitor the "transtion time". for me it is 24-36 hr (max),  (eat blueberries, or red beets - then you will know...lol)

I not only take fiber (as in veggies, berries and lots of flax meal or chia seeds) but I also get enough of magnesium to make sure I get an easy BM every morning.
ON top what is in my multi I take 800-1200 mg mag oxide per day. Works like a charm.  And if Mag is taken just before bed - it also has calmiong - relaxing effect on the body - and I sleep like a baby.
Making sure you drink enough water is a must.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Suite1
on 5/24/11 1:13 am - Dayton, OH
For the first few months after surgery, I might only go every 3 days and it was very painful.   The infrequency was normal given how little we actually eat after surgery.     I finally got on a regimen (along with my vitamins and some trial & error) of 3 Benefiber and 3 Colace every day.   I also take magnesium twice a day to go along with my calcium.  

I may have 2-3 movements in one day and none the next, but then have several the next.   Sometimes it's at least one a day.   I had a routine colonoscopy more than a month ago and thought it would take several days before I had any action, but it was back to normal the 2nd day after it.    Then there was a week when I was awful about taking all of my vitamins & supplements because I was out of some and because I just forgot to refill the case.  Amazingly I had little or no problem that week, but I'm back on track again and everything is workin the way I like it too.

Hope that's not TMI - but YOU started it!!!   Mom always said "be careful what you wish for, you might just get it."  
HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

Carrie W.
on 5/24/11 1:14 am - KY
I usually go everyday with no problems. I get worried if I don't go everyday and I'll take some MoM. I was just curious what other people do. Thanks!
granneybec
on 5/24/11 3:45 am
paperwerx
on 5/24/11 5:58 am
omg i dont go every day, i go once or twice a week, think i need fiber LOL
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 418 views