Alcohol

Twospot
on 5/24/11 6:28 am - NJ
Anyone drinking alcohol after having surgery (I mean down the road not right after). I am 13 pounds from my goal. Curious if anyone has tried drinking beer, wine, shots, etc. I am not an alcoholic. I did like having a nice Guiness every so often and I am wondering if I could do that. Also I am dating someone new and she told me that her father will want to do a shot with me when we meet. It won't be a big deal if I can't but if I can it will go over well LOL. Thanks!
ecushagger
on 5/24/11 6:31 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 06/08/09 with
I am approaching my 2nd year anniversary of my RNY.  I have occasionally had a couple of wines or beers since about 7-8 months out and have not had any problems!
ECUshagger
NIXMOMMIE
on 5/24/11 6:51 am - NC
I am only 2 mos out and went home this weekend to visit my family. My sister soaked some pineapple in vodka. I ate a few small pieces, no adverse reactions. I would not push the envelope and over do it. It you are 2 yrs out, you may tolerate it. Check with the old timers and see what they say. Good luck.

Sue C
on 5/24/11 6:55 am - Fargo, ND

I am 5+ years out.  I drink drinks, beer, wine and shots!!!  Not all on the same night though, lol.  And I do not dump on sugars.

Just be careful.

~ Sue ~

257/162/150

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/24/11 7:03 am
Slippery slope... Called: transfer addiction.
I never had problem with alcohol before RNY.
Post op - if I start drinking I want to drink and drink... and drink.
I realized that I developed a problem.  So now - I try very hard not to have any at home (I will drink it), avoid buying it.
It is nothing better than a cool glass of wine at the end of the day... but suddenly I could not stop at one glass... so be very careful...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

-Vii-
on 5/24/11 7:20 am - MN
I waited until I was 6 mths out to try anything and am now just over a year out.  I might have a glass of wine or a beer occassionally, but that is about all I can handle.  I think I had 2 beers one night, but spaced out cause I do feel the effects quicker now.  Never was big on shots, so good luck with that one! : ) 

Carolyn "Vii"

happyhealing
on 5/24/11 7:28 am
I am three months out and I have drank on three different occassions.  The first time I had three glasses of wine at a jazz festival, the second time I had shots of vodka with a Isopure punch chaser, and I eventually threw up, the third time I didnt learn from the second time and did the same thing.  I think it's because my pouch was too full and I was trying to keep up with everyone else.  It was a myth to me that I got drunk faster, I was a little buzzed faster than before, but it wasnt like I  couldnt remember things, like when I drank before surgery.  I use to drink and then forget parts of the night but everyone said I seemed so coherent.  A shot and a beer wont make you falling down drunk.  Cant wait to read what the haters on alcohol and cross addiction are going to say now.  I wasnt addicted to alcohol or food, mine was about lack of exercise, a desk job, and portion control.  Some people think we got into the same boat for the same reason, not true.  Good luck and Salude!!!
M M
on 5/24/11 7:46 am
 This is a joke, right?
happyhealing
on 5/24/11 8:01 am
Is what a joke? 
M M
on 5/24/11 7:45 am
One year.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 56 replies · 851 views