carb heavier meals?

Carrie W.
on 5/24/11 2:21 am - KY
I'm supposed to have no more than 5g carbs per meal.  For the most part, I stick to that.  I have NOT talked to my NUT about this so ....

5g carbs per meal is 15g/day, right?  So if I have a no-carb meal, like the 4oz of baked chicken I had last night, I could have a 10g carb meal after right?  That's my thinking anyway. 

So if I'm going to have a heavier carb meal, what meal should I have?  If I eat the greek yogurt for breakfast, that covers breakfast and lunch. 

Besides all this, I've decided to add a 4th meal to my day.  I'm staying under 600cal but eating another meal would allow me to get all my protein but still be able to eat *some* veggies.  I'll still stick to 15g or less of carbs a day. 

I am feeling some guilt and confusion about this.  I'm trying very hard to stick to my plan and I have been for the most part.  Are my motivations food-addiction related?  Am I trying to squirm out of my plan?  I don't know....

Thanks!
azambesi
on 5/24/11 2:31 am - Milton, FL
 I am only a little over a week post-op, but I recently had my NUT classes and I remember what she said to me about the carb intake.

First: Carbs do slow the weight loss process for most of us. Because of that, making sure you have an even amount helps your body regulate the carbs we do eat and helps avoid any blood sugar fluctuations.

Second: Carbs are what most people who dump - dump on. She said that there is a common misconception that it is sugar, but since we convert carbs to sugar, anything carby could do it.

That being said, I'm not sure that 10g would do anything. 

Hope you find your answer!

Aletheia

Carrie W.
on 5/24/11 4:08 am - KY
Thanks!  That definitely makes sense to spread carbs out over the day to keep blood sugar stable. 
psx chelly
on 5/24/11 2:39 am, edited 5/24/11 2:51 am
Im not sure this is my business, but what carbs are you avoiding / cutting out of your food?  I hope not the spinach or broccoli carbs... or the carrot and cauliflower carbs.....  You know, the veggie carbs?

I severly limit my carb intake also becuse of PCOS, but im not eating things like bread, or rice, or potatoes, or noodles or junk food.  White surgary refined carbs that are no good for me anyhow, PCOS or not.  I also dont eat quite a few of the "diet" foods available because its all bad carbs.  When im lucky I can find "low glycemic index" type snacks, for example the "Think Thin" bars.  I specifically eat the ones with fiber in them.

From my experience, there is no way to completly cut out carbs unless your eating straight plain meats and cheeses, which may not be that healthy all by themselves... not to mention the horrible constipation.  You need veggie carbs.

Carrie W.
on 5/24/11 4:09 am - KY

I don't eat veggies much right now at all.  The carbs I get are from dairy.  I WANT veggies though and that's what I'm trying to figure out how to get in. 

Thanks!

Kim S.
on 5/24/11 3:08 am - Helena, AL
Not all carbs are created equally.  I wouldn't focus on severely limiting any sector of food--what I would concentrate on is getting the required amount of protein in daily.  At the stage you are at, very little room will be left for carbs anyway.

You should focus on protein, protein, protein.  Then, if there's room, eat some veggies or dairy (both of which will have some carbs, but these are good carbs).  Bottom line, if you are truly following your plan (and this early out, I highly recommend it) you wont have enough room for the carbs to make a difference or really require the stressful counting.  Continue to measure your food because you are still probably not healed enough to "feel" fullness.

Are you logging your food daily?  This will provide you all the data you need.

The 4th meal is probably not necessary this early in the game.  Are you experiencing hunger?  If you are, try sipping hot green tea.

Don't feel guilt or confusion. You are very new to this.  It is better to ask now, while you are early out so you can work hard to change your lifestyle.  Real hunger will return soon enough, and if you haven't learned new disciplines you'll get stuck in the re-gain net...the last place you want to be!! 

Oh, as I always ask..........are you exercising???  That is truly the #1 key to long term weight control.  We are here for you!!

Kim

Carrie W.
on 5/24/11 4:03 am - KY
Thank you, Kim!

Right now all I'm eating is dairy and meat.  The dairy is in the form of my morning greek yogurt (9g carbs).  The other two meals of the day are just meat.  I've been doing this for about 3 weeks.  Before I was eating 3oz of meat and then no more than half a cup of veggies (only a few, mostly asparagus and green beans).  In order to get more protein, I either had to add another meal or drop the veggies.  My NUT recommended dropping the veggies.  They're very ANTI snacking and an extra meal is snacking.  BTW protein shakes are another no-no. 

What all this boils down to is that I want those veggies.  I'm doubting my ability to continue an all meat diet, long term.  I have a hard time thinking of them as something that's bad for me so I shouldn't have it.  I understand why bread is bad, why sugar is bad but not asparagus.  kwim?  And I worry that my wanting those veggies and trying to find a way to justify them is going to lead to me wanting a donut and trying to justify that. 

I do track my food.  I average 70g protein and about 500cal per day.  I don't feel hunger yet and more and more, I'm having to make myself eat, especially the last few bites of a 4oz serving of something like chicken.  I get >100oz of water a day (in the form of water) and I take all my vitamins. 

I do exercise.  I walk for 60 minutes a day on my treadmill at home.  I intend to join my dad's gym but haven't gotten around to it yet.  Guess I need to get on with that, huh? 

Thanks!
NIXMOMMIE
on 5/24/11 11:26 am - NC
Carrie, we had surgery on the same day and I know all docs are different, but..... Why no protein shakes.  The 10g carbs daily and only 3 meals seems very very odd to me.  I am told to eat 4-6 times a day and if I need a protein shake, go for it.  My poch is not finicky at all, so my variety of food is probably much more sparse than yours.  As far as snack, as long as they are protein rich, why not?  You will need the veggies in order to "go".  If not you may end up constipated from all that meat and cheese.  Oh meat and cheese.  A cheese steak with mushrooms,and gr peppers and onions and no bun.  HMMMMMM, New meal idea.
My new fave snack is a half sandwich.  i slice of whole wheat bread 5g protein, 1 slice of cheddar cheese 4g protein and 1 slice of turkey 5g protein with mustard.  it takes me a while to eat it, but it is good and nice to have regular food.

Ninnygirlj
on 5/24/11 4:27 am
I can relate to wanting to eat veggies. But at this point once I get all my protein in there isn't room for anything else. I know in the future I'll be able to eat veggies but for now it's all about protein. I never thought I would crave veggies but when I see my kids and partner eating salad or veggies at dinner I sooooo want to take a bite.

Kim S.
on 5/24/11 4:52 am - Helena, AL

You wont have to be on all protein forever, just these early stages because the pouch is so small and protein is the key in healing and keeping you full.  I promise when you get to goal and in maintenance, as long as you have a good exercise plan, you'll be able to eat like a "normal" person, even enjoying a donut or cookie occasionally (if you don't dump on sugar--I don't).

For now, if you want veggies, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't have them, but limit it to the last couple bites you eat.  The Greek yogurt is very good for you and a good habit to get in.  To this day one of my "meals" (I now eat 6-7 times a day-but the first year after surgery I only ate 3 times per day) is a Chobani Greek yogurt.

I too never had protein shakes or bars.  All my protein had to come from food.  Have you tried beans?  I love beans cooked with turkey sausage.  Also, I loved "taco salad" in the early days....made with a scoop of fat free re-fried beans, a scoop of high quality low fat ground beef (seasoned with taco seasoning mix), a dab of grated cheese and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt....and top with a drizzle of salsa. 

Work on letting go of the "bad" food mentality.  Food is food.  You will be able to enjoy more variety after about the first 9 months.....and when you get to maintenance, like I am, you may very well find you can have ANYTHING in moderation.  I now live by the 80/20 rule....I follow the rules and make great choices 80% of the time.  I think I can get away with it because I exercise 6 days a week.

I'm glad to hear you are exercising.  Get that gym membership as soon as you can so you can do weight work too.

Take a deep breath and keep up the great work--I'm here anytime you need me.

Kim

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 328 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 367 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?