Anyone have anemia and potassium deficiency prior to RNY??

shellbell4955
on 5/24/11 7:30 am - GA
has anyone had anemia and or potasium deficency prior to having RNY if so what did your Dr say about it and how do u deal with it??

Thank you
Shelley Belley
Cheryl Allan
on 5/24/11 7:42 am - Canada
Was and still am anemic, my dr has taken me off iron pills and I now get an iron shot once a week and this is helping, I find out  my blood work next week  and if needed he will up my iron injections....hope this helps
Cheryl Allan

HW...355......SW....322...CW 281

babybooo828
on 5/24/11 7:56 am
 I was slightly snemic before surgery. I took iron pills then and take them now.

I never had problems with potasium until after surgery. Every now and then I have to take postasium pills to bring it up. 

shellbell4955
on 5/24/11 11:15 am - GA

did u have to get liquid form of iron or crush them??

babybooo828
on 5/25/11 9:45 am
 I bought Bariatric Chewable Iron gummys. They were ok. Then I had strictures and was vomiting a lot. After having vomited them up, just the smell would cause me to vomit. So then I just started crushing up my iron pills. 

AliSarah
on 5/24/11 8:40 am
I was anemic before surgery and again after surgery. My issue is gynecological, so everyone is hopeful that losing the weight will solve the problem. I suppose we'll find out in August, lol... Meanwhile, before surgery, I took a lot of iron pills to solve the problem. Since surgery, after trying every type of iron I could get my hands on, I have had success with Iron Infusions. Four treatments have gotten my numbers up into the normal range. :D

I have not ever had a problem with potassium, so I've got nothing on that one. I will say that my surgery was postponed once because of iron deficient anemia and almost again, but I barely was above the number I needed for surgery (which was a hemoglobin of 10). My surgeon would not do my surgery without my hemoglobin being at least 10.

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 5/24/11 9:13 am
My doc won't do surgery on a patient who's anemic. Those that are have to get iron infusions or go on iron therapy daily to up their levels before surgery.
Jen 9 yrs post op
Ninnygirlj
on 5/24/11 12:41 pm
My potassium was really low before surgery and still runs low. I had to have potassium through an IV for a few days and now take potassium pills everyday.

Amy R.
on 5/24/11 1:49 pm
I had both pre-op to the point of going into Ventrical Tachycardia (or Sudden Cardiac Death Syndrome). Same thing post op, with the same results - another episode of V-Tach, this time last August. I am very, very fortunate to be alive as the survival rate for this particular arrythmia is almost nil, especially having had it happen twice.

They watch me like a hawk now. I still have, and will probably always struggle with, pernicious anemia. My potassium goes out of whack very quickly so I have to be vigilant about my labs. I get iron infusions, take daily iron, and get IV potassium or take potassium pills if/when needed.

Are you asking because you have these issues as well?
shellbell4955
on 5/24/11 11:35 pm - GA
I don't have issues s bad as yours but I do have very low iron im severly anemic and I have low potassium and right now im just on it once a day but if I go without taking it I get real weak and sicker and sicker Im just afraid the Dr won't let me have the RNY b/c of this and I will have to get the Lap Band

Shelley Belley
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 408 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 276 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views