liver shrinking diet.... preop

KM724
on 5/24/11 12:03 pm
Hi OH!!!!  Has anyone out there had to doa liver shrinking diet prior to surgery? My doctor says that my liver is enlarged so i need to shrink it before surgery..... anyone have this problem????

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

fleetsie
on 5/24/11 12:13 pm - Columbia, MD
My doctor requires it for all his patients because they don't do open surgery anymore and if your liver is too enlarged to move the flap to get to your stomach, they will just close you back up and reschedule your surgery (and bill you, of course).  I didn't have any issues with it.  They gave me a diet to go by.  Did they give you one?
HW 247  SW 232  GW 135

KM724
on 5/24/11 12:19 pm
he did give me a diet. its 1000 calories and very low fat. i started it monday and i cheated today already. i feel like such a failure. i'm just gonna miss food so much, i know it sound ridiulous, but i cant help the way i feel. my surgeon actually does do it open and lap but i really dont want to have it open, it scares me. i guess tommmoro is a new day ):

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

mysticmomma
on 1/10/16 2:02 am

Who was your surgeon? Some patients will require an open surgery regardless of adherence to two weeks of liquids.

mysticmomma
on 1/10/16 2:03 am

Who was your surgeon? Some patients will require an open surgery regardless of adherence to two weeks of liquids. Random blanket statements from doctors sound like bullying. 

Stacemonster
on 5/24/11 1:55 pm
I just did a low carb diet for a month and my surgeon said my liver looked fantastic!

hazelnut6
on 5/24/11 8:12 pm
Obesity can be directly related to an enlarged liver and a fatty liver.  The liver shrinking diet is very common just before the surgery.  For your health in general and for your safety during the surgery.  It is much more difficult for the surgeon to do your RNY when the liver is so large and in the way.  Shrinking it reduces the risk of a liver laceration.  (this is what my surgeon told me)

RedAppleCandie
on 5/25/11 4:55 am
Hang in there!  I had to do the liver shrink for 2 weeks prior to my surgery.  All sugar free pudding, jello, SF Popsicles, chicken broth.  

I thought I was going to DIE from not eating food.  Well guess what, I didn't.  I lived to have my surgery and as a bonus, the pre-op diet gave me a taste of what to expect post-op, since you eat the same things for a week or so afterwards.  

Even bigger bonus - I lost 10lbs!

So keep on track, and think about that light at the end of the tunnel!