Study showing we should not take extended release meds?

Carebearny1999
on 5/27/11 12:25 am - Rochester, NY
I need to "prove" to my insurance company that I cannot switch my meds from 30mg twice a day to 60mg once a day.  Anybody got a link to a study proving it??  And I HATE how the Ins. company thinks they know more than 2 Drs and a pharmacist!  GRRR I hate Cigna!

adamsamah
on 5/27/11 12:33 am - Nixa, MO
I found this site which has some other references. Hope this helps.
http://www.ichpnet.org/professional_practice/clinical_practice_guidelines/

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

Carebearny1999
on 5/27/11 12:39 am - Rochester, NY
Thanks, I don't know what they need but I think it's pretty dang gutsy to deny a prior authorization form and make someone scrounge for samples because it's not a drug you can go off cold turkey!! The dr is about ready to say try the 60mg and when you end up in the ER they'll have to pay. Fine and dandy if I didn't have the $1500 deductible!!
facethemusic
on 5/27/11 12:49 am, edited 5/27/11 12:54 am
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/545489_6

The 2nd paragraph talks about reduced absorption for extended release medications.  I would think a letter from your Bariatric surgeon stating that you cannot have time released medications would be enough. 

Edited to add:  When my insurance company requires prior authorization on meds I always ask for a 5 day supply to get me by until they get the paperwork straightened out.  See if they would be willing to do that for you since it sounds liek it is a medication you cannot stop safely.  Push the issue if you have to.

HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

Carebearny1999
on 5/27/11 1:02 am - Rochester, NY
I have pushed it, and so has the pharmacist.    Still waiting on the surgeon's letter--this is getting old, fast!!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 204 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 478 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 397 views
Recent Topics