Anxiety Medication

Rita T.
on 5/27/11 1:54 am - Clearwater, FL
So I am about 2 years out went from 272-168lbs.

I am suffering from anxiety and my doctor prescribed xanax as needed and prozac. Well the prozac was working alright at first the anxiety was going away but then I started to feel depressed and I had delt with depression prior to surgery so i quickly got myself off of it.

She then prescribed wellbutrin which I have been on before but which is not prescribed for anxiety but rather ADHD and she said it should help with my weight loss. Just to point out I did tell her I was having a hard time concentrating which is why she suggested it.

Well I am still taking xanax for when I have a flare up but half a pill of xanax (.25mg) almost instantly puts me in a coma like sleep. I mean I literally could just fall asleep and stay asleep for about two hours.

My questions is this: do any of you take an anti anxiety mediation that will NOT knock you out? My doctor has suggested, Valium and percaset (sp?) any other suggestions?
Suzanne Gottschalk
on 5/27/11 2:21 am - Columbia, MO

I am worried for the recommendations your doctor has made. Valium and percocet are extremely addictive medications. With your pouch dumping directly into the small intestine, I would be so wary of taking any kind of narcotic. I am on Cymbalta and Abilify and will continue after my surgery due to the fact I have chronic depression.

facethemusic
on 5/27/11 2:33 am
They put you on Percocet for anxiety?  That's a pain medication.  That seems odd to me. 

I take Wellbutrin in the mornings accompanied by Seroquel 50mg at night.  The Seroquel knocks me out, but since taking it I dont' have panic attacks near as often.  I was on Prozac years ago and it seemed to make my anxiety worse.  It made me really mean in fact. 

If the Xanax is knocking you out then I would ask for something different.  It can be addictive if you take it daily in large doses, but taking it occasionally as needed the way you are shouldn't be a problem.  You could try something natural like Valerian Root.  It's actually got some of the same properties as Valium, but won't knock you out.  I find it is great at helping me mellow out.  Valium may not make you as sleepy.  It didn't work very well on my anxiety though.  For immeadiate relief of a bad panic attack I take Klonopin which doesn't make me drowsy at all.  With time the Xanax may not make you as drowsy.  Out of all the anxiety meds Xanax is the fastest acting, but Valium has the longest half-life meaning it stays in your system the longest.  There are other options such as Ativan as well.  All of these meds can be addicting, but that really only happens if you use them improperly. 
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

Perfumesheep
on 5/27/11 3:08 am - CT
RNY on 11/01/10 with
I take Valium for anxiety and find it less sedating than Xanax. That said, both Wellbutrin and Prozac are TERRIBLE drugs for depression with anxiety, and are well documented as such. I take Lexapro and Lyrica for depression and anxiety and it works fantastic together and believe me I have tried them all. Lexapro is related to Celexa, which is related to Paxil, which are all outstanding for anxiety, but can cause sedation and overeating, so Lexapro was the best for the good qualities of the others minus sexual side effects and sedation/hunger problems. I love it!
Lammy
on 5/27/11 3:13 am - North Providence, RI
I take Lexapro 20mg daily. Doesn't knock you out or make you tired. It just elevates the anxiety. It works wonderfully

THE HARDEST STEP OF ANY JOURNEY IS THE FIRST ONE 

Holly O.
on 5/27/11 3:38 am - Bradenton, FL
I have problems with anxiety...........they tried me on Wellbutrin.........didn't work..........Lexapro - 10 mg. day works like a charm.  -Holly

Pamela F.
on 5/27/11 3:44 am - OR
I'm on Wellbutrin, because my doc said it had the least amount of nausea inducing side effects. Honestly it's been working for me ok. (going through a divorce sucks!) It helps me not feel like I wa*****hed in the gut. If it has been a particularly bad time (talking to my soon to be ex...) I take a Xanax that is .5mg. It still makes me sleepy but no longer does it knock me out or anything. I think your body kind of builds up a tolerance to it. Considering I didn't take anything at all prior to surgery I think it took a while for my body to get used to it. I guess just listen to your doc, and your own body and talk to your doc about everything. They can't help unless they know what's up.
For by grace we are saved. Ephesians 2:8

ANNI D.
on 5/27/11 3:54 am
I was on a med called Busparone or commonly called Buspar. It is for anxiety. It did not do anything to help me, I don't think, but if you are that sensitive to benzodiapines then this would probably work well for you. It says that it can cause drowsiness in some people, but that is a rare side effect for regular people.

I was put on it after becoming overly dependent (not quite addicted) to Ativan and Klonapin, which are also benzo's and in the same family as Xanax. It did not work well for me because I am highly med resistant. It takes quite a bit more of any med to be therapeutic for me. This was the case even pre-op, so it's really hard to treat me now with the malabsorption. My Dr's are aware of this now and finally believe me, from proof, and usually start me out on the highest, or close to the highest, dosage to ensure the med will work.

Good luck and I really would mention the Buspar to your Dr. I think it might be just the ticket for you without causing you to "pass out." You might also want to ask about a mood stabilizer, instead of or together with, an antidepressant. There are quite a few out there and have seemed to help me and others I know. 
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

mspiccolo
on 5/27/11 3:55 am - Camarillo, CA
I take Lexapro 10mg a day right before bed and it has worked wonders.  Talk to your doctor about it. 

pandavenise
on 5/27/11 4:28 am
 I take xanax every once in a while and have noticed lately that it makes me feel more down and I am getting ready to have a revision so I am trying to not take any of that stuff . But I do have problems sleeping so I think I will always have to take trazadone for sleep. But I used to take Busbar for anxiety and it doesn't seem to make me sleepy and it isn't as addictive and all the xanax or Ativan which is really addictive. 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 416 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 363 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics