When did you first eat shrimp?

Anna M.
on 5/28/11 2:15 am - Manchester, NH
I'm on soft foods and my book says fish and shellfish are ok. About three weeks out. Do you think it's too soon for shrimp?

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
celticnurse
on 5/28/11 2:54 am - Abingdon, MD
(RNY 5/2/11) my doc and NUT said as long as i chew it really well, like pulverize it before swallowing, i should be ok. i had shrimp salad the day my staples came out on May 18. it was sooooo yummy!
allvalerie
on 5/28/11 2:56 am - Seward, AK
I was about a month out when I first ate shrimp- for me they went down easy!

Valerie
Anna M.
on 5/28/11 3:08 am - Manchester, NH
I'm going to give it a whirl tonight.  I'm going to make Venetian shrimp and scallops. Found the recipe on foodnetwork.com

Thanks for the replies!

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
sunnydelightinpa
on 5/28/11 3:15 am - Dawson, PA
Shrimp and fish always go down good for me. I don't think yu'll have a probem with it.

Carrie W.
on 5/28/11 4:15 am - KY
I had shrimp at about 4 weeks out. For me all shrimp is not created equal. Some brands are nice and soft and really agree with me. The last bag I bought (pre-cooked, shelled and deveined) was tough and I had to chew and chew and chew. Didn't like that at all.

What I'm able to eat and when has really nothing to do with what you'll be able to eat and when. There are several people on here who can't eat shrimp. One of the guys at my first support group meeting ended up having to go to the hospital because shrimp got stuck.
Amber J.
on 5/28/11 7:45 am - Kirkland, WA
 I've been eating shrimp since about a month out. Like others said, it really depends on the shrimp, too. Overcooked, tough shrimp will usually get stuck for me. So as soon as I start chewing them and realize how tough they are, I spit them out. I'm no longer afraid to spit something out or push a plate away. Before my surgery I couldn't stand to let food go to waste.

One of my favorite things now is to pick up the small shrimp ****tail party platter from Safeway. I'll pack some shrimp for lunch at work, I'll eat them for a snack in the afternoon, I'll cut them up and put them in my eggs in the morning. They're great! Pre-cooked and super soft. I even treat myself to a little ****tail sauce.

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

cajungirl
on 5/28/11 12:33 pm
Shrimp falls under shellfish.  I had 2 shrimp at 9 days out of surgery (my plan was different).  It won't take much to fill you up, eat slow and rest between bites.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Michelle E.
on 5/28/11 1:09 pm
I think you should chop it up really fine. I got shrimp stuck and it really sucked. I wont go to shrimp until 6 mos out. Flakey fish would be a better choice.

MICHELLE
newtintn
on 5/28/11 1:34 pm - TN
 Seafood has always been a favorite of mine, especially shellfish, but since surgery 6 wks ago, its now a staple. I get Gortons frozen grilled scampi and grilled cajun shrimp. TONS of protein in them and theyre quick and yummie. I also get Gortons grilled garlic and butter Talapia. And I found a crab cake that is very low in carb and fat that I also adore. I eat more seafood than anything now it seems. Been eating it since i went to soft foods at around 2 wks or 3 wks...cant remember. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 518 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 254 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics