Magnesium Citrate

Dee2011
on 5/28/11 9:24 am - PA
For those of you who use this...what dose do you take and how often do you use it?
Hope V.
on 5/28/11 9:51 am - MN

that stuff is evil but if you must I would mix some crystal lite in it and start with about 1/4 bottle and drink more as needed. I have had to use as much as two bottles

Ladytazz
on 5/28/11 10:43 am
 Why are you wanting to take it?  Is it for a supplement or to treat constipation?  If it is for constipation then I heard that magnesium oxide is better for that.  I use it every day, 500 mg twice a day and it really helps.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

vitalady
on 5/28/11 10:47 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
are you referring to daily pills for leg cramps? Or the bowel prep?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Dee2011
on 5/28/11 11:26 am - PA
No liquid magnesium citrate for bowels.  I just had a bout with constipation and they gave me this and it worked really well.  Wanred to incorporate it into my routine.  Miralax, ducolax just don't cut it with me. 
vitalady
on 5/28/11 11:37 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Wow, that stuff is kinda hard on you for a daily routine. Dehydrates.

Here's what I do for chronic constipation.

I had chronic constipation for 11 years. I tried: more fiber, less fiber, soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, no fiber, both fibers, stool softeners, Smooth Moves & Correctol teas and Metamucil wafers, together, apart, more water, less water, cut out anything bu****er (and protein), senna, cascara sagrada, everything one could possibly try until I was basically dependent on enemas for 3 yrs.

Miralax helped the stool be passable. It was rx and finally became generic, so went from $80 for 3 months to $20 for 3 months. Now it is OTC, but is about $8 for 5-6 servings. If you can get the rx, it is much cheaper, safe, daily, for life, according to my GI doc.

The stool softeners are store brand equal to Colace, not PERI-colace.

Word was that magnesium citrate was such a great thing. This is pills, not the green bottle, so I tried it and nothing happened, and so I kept increasing it. What DID happen is that my foot and leg cramps ceased. So, I kept doing that and tried magnesium oxide. This is small, cheap, found anywhere, like drug stores. And finally, it worked. Mine are 500 mg and I take 2.

My final formula:
1 serving MiraLax (rx) *
4 stool softeners at night
1 mag ox with lunch, 1 with dinner

In the morning, hot beverage first thing on empty gut

This has worked for several years yrs now.

* MiraLax was rx only until the end of 2007, and is now generic by rx. The original name brand is available at drug stores at about $20 for a large bottle. You might want to try one first, taken daily, at about the same time. If it solves the problem, then ask your doc for rx. It is NOT a laxative. It is safe, daily, taken for life, per 4 doctors I've asked. It was a pediatrician who introduced me to it. My rx plan allows me to have 6 of those big bottles every 3 months for $20. Check with your doc and your insurance to see if it's beneficial to buy it by rx. BTW, my doc writes for 2 servings per day, because they might SAY there are 30 servings per bottle, but somebody can't count. Me or them? I use only one, but if I spill or get too much, I still have enough to last til next refill.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Michelle E.
on 5/28/11 1:05 pm
I Understand your desperation.. I just went through terrible C with a partial blockage... The Mag Cit didnt even work for me.. I had to go to the dr at get Lactulose..

I took Miralax for 3 days, Mag Citrate the entire bottle, 4 stool softeners and mineral enema... nothing.. then after 1 1/2 days of the lactulose finally success..

I had to go back on clear liquids for 2 days now I am back on protein shakes,jello, SF pudding,Broth, magnesium oxide, stool softeners, benefiber, and Omega 3 supplements. On Mon/Tues, I get to go back on my regular diet (grilled chicken, salad etc).

My doctor reminded me to make sure I get some fat in my diet...It helps lubricate your insides.

I also started aloe vera juice too. I was reading its suppose to help with constipation, and many other health benefits.

Michelle
grmadeb01
on 5/28/11 11:38 am - FL
there is no way i would drink that stuff again, i did it for the bowel prep and thought i was going to die trying to get it down...and i only got half down...but it still worked...it was the nastyiest stuff i have ever tasted along with the barium swallow stuff....OH MY LORD, they are gross...sorry...i am gagging right now just thinking about them..
debby
Dave Chambers
on 5/28/11 4:19 pm - Mira Loma, CA
I'd avoid daily usage as it would likely cause dehydration.  I had to use this stuff for a colonoscopy, and I had the bright idea of mixing it with a can of 7 UP (2 years prior to my RNY). Big mistake.  It tasted so bad, that it took me 2 hours to consume the mixture.  When I had my RNY, I just held my nose and drank the bottle quickly.  My surgeon spoke about constipation after RNY, and basically most patients face this issue to some degree. Each patient has to figure out what may work for them. Best solution will vary with each pateint somewhat.  Exercise (body movement), warm fluids (like coffee or warm prune juice or hot herbal tea), Miralax, stool softeners, etc. , or a combination of several things usually resolves the issue most of the time. But periodic minor constipation may still be an issue. Each patient is different. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 531 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 199 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?