Eating now....... while I can.

dana5333
on 5/28/11 9:44 am
So, I had the lapband in 2005 and lost 100 lbs, but it had to be removed in 2008 due to erosion. I remember when I had it taken out, all I wanted to do was eat the things that I had missed so much, that I wasn't able to eat when I had the band in. Needless to say, while making up for lost time, I gained all my weight back. I got approved for a revision (bypass), about three months sooner than I expected. It is all coming so fast, I have surgery scheduled tor June 21st. I know I will have to go on a liquid diet for 10 days before surgery. So I've been obsessing about eating all the things I know I won't be able to eat later. It's like I want to get it all now, cuz I have an idea of what things won't digest like they will now. Like red meat, bread, pasta, french fries, fried chicken. Ya know.. all the unhealty make you fat foods. I have promised myself that I would never make the mistake of gaining it back again...... but this head game is driving me crazy. Am I the only one that wants to "bulk up" before I know I can't do it anymor?. It's a mind set that scares me half to death. Am I heading down a road of disappointment all over again? Am I wasting my time getting this surgery? I truely don't want to make this same mistake twice.... and it wasn't until today that I asked myself.... wtf is the matter with you? I truely am a food addict! I have very unhealthy thoughts about food, and I only hope I have learned my lesson about changing my life style with this new revision surgery. Does anybody have any comforting advice? ,...... .I'm a lil scurd!

~~Dana~~

~Dana5333

Amy R.
on 5/28/11 9:55 am
You might want to keep in mind that after you are healed completely you will be able to eat all of the foods you mentioned.  You will likely be able to eat whatever foods you want to eat.  Many of us (me included) operated under the mistaken assumption that after the surgery we will never be able to have "whatever" again.  Not so.  

I am 2 1/2 years post op and there is nothing so far that I can not have a least a couple of bites of.  I dump and have developed RH so that kind of keeps me in check where sugar and fats are involved, at least somewhat.  But most longer term postops find they can eat ANYTHING, with a few exceptions that are specific to that particular person.  This is one of the reasons folks have regain, even after RnY, and even the DS.  We can still eat whatever we want, and the pouch stretches as time goes on so you can eat more and more of whatever you are eating - to the point where some of us can eat a "normal" sized meal.

So you're not really saying "Goodbye" to your favorite foods forever!  You're just taking a short break.  Odds are you may not even WANT those things postop, and if you do you'll surely eat less volume-wise.  But you are certainly likely to be able to eat pretty much anything/everything you want eventually.  It's just that after having the surgery, most folks try to  make different or better selections post op and don't eat as much, if any, of the stuff from their "old life' by choice.

Good luck in your journey  =)
KM724
on 5/28/11 11:48 am
hi dana!! I totally know how your feeling. I'm scheduled to have my surgery june 6th. When i found out my date i literally ordered from every place where i knew i wasnt goning to be able to eat it again. Its so hard to let go of all those foods because i can say that i will really miss it all. just beacause we are doing things like this now does not mean we are setting our selves up for disaster. If we really want it we can do it. I had to start a preop liver shrinking diet on monday, its 1000 calories and low fat. it has been really hard and i'll be honest i have cheated a couple times but i am doing my best to stay on track.  you are not wasting your time...... if u want to succeed u will, just hang in there, it will be worth it in the end, thats what i keep telling myselff

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

Jessica276
on 5/28/11 1:06 pm
 Hi! I just had my surgery on the 16th and I went thru the same thing. I was actually sad to say goodbye to food.  The one thing I am doing is continuing to see a counselor to help with the food addiction. I figure while Im re-learning how to eat and be healthy I might as well figure out why I have such strong feelings towards food so I can deal with it and not risk gaining weight back.

Jess :)
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 374 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views