RNY open or lap??

KM724
on 5/31/11 5:10 am
WHat is the recovery time difference between open RNY and lap??

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

nomoresugar
on 5/31/11 5:13 am
It varies, but typically 3 weeks for Lap, 6 weeks for open. 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/31/11 5:14 am - OH
It really depends on the individual and on the surgeon... some people recover from both surgeries much more quickly than others and some surgeons require more time off work than other surgeons.  In general, though, you are looking at a couple of weeks off for lap (this seems to vary more than the timelines for open) and the traditional 4-6 weeks off for open.

Lora

10 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

KM724
on 5/31/11 8:35 am
omg... i'm having surgery on monday and i had all intentions on having it done lap but my doc says i have a fatty liver, so he said there is a chance they mite have to do it open. this is so scary and sucks really bad because i can barely take off the 3 weeks i was planning on taking off of work, if its more i dont know what will happen. ):

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:

Mandypants402
on 5/31/11 9:03 am - Canada
I had open and was feeling pretty good by day 8 or 10. I do waxing and nails at home and was back at it around then. Still hurts to put pressure on the incision but otherwise not too bad. Had c-sections with my kids and this was waaaaaay better!
KM724
on 5/31/11 11:38 am
mandy..... wow 8-10 days thats awesome. I had 3 vaginal births with my kids so i dont know what a c-section feels like. I work as a teller for a bank and i really need to try and get back to work 3 weeks after. why did you have to have ur surgery open instead of lap?

AddisynsMommy
on 5/31/11 9:20 am - FL
 I had my RNY open and by 4-5weeks I was feeling pretty good I was great by 6 weeks.. good lluck
KM724
on 5/31/11 11:36 am
hi addisynsmommy..... love that name by the way, soo pretty. I was just wondering why your surgeon decided to do yours open instead of lap?? I work as a teller at a bank and i really have to try and get back to work after 3 weeks..

Mandypants402
on 5/31/11 11:58 am - Canada
There aren't a lot of surgeons where I live who do rny so he does like 90% open and 10% lap. The waiting list is soooo long for open and even longer for lap. Also because I had my gall bladder out and the c sections there was too much scar tissue to go through... Doesn't really bother me though!
azambesi
on 5/31/11 12:12 pm - Milton, FL
 I had a "mini-open" two weeks ago and I am feeling good!  My incision is about 3" long and starts just under my bra line.  I had to have it open because it was a revision from Lap-Band to RNY and my surgeon only does that open.  As far as recovery, I was feeling pretty good after having my drains removed at a week out. As far as work, I have a couple more weeks off, but I could go back to work now without a problem. 

One good thing about the open is that you don't have to deal with the gas pain in your shoulders that lap surgery usually causes.

Good Luck with your surgery!

Aletheia