Post-Op Pantry....

Stephanie_Lynn
on 5/29/11 4:42 pm
Hi Everyone,
I am having RNY on June 21st.
I know I will be on a strict liquid diet for a while, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or suggestion on foods & other things to stock up on for after surgery.
Any advice would be very appreciated.
Thanks Everyone.
JessieRae
on 5/29/11 6:57 pm - NY
 Hey...you're having your surgery the day after me =) I have also been making a list...this is what have so far...
1. protein powder(obviously)
2. Sugar Free yogurt and pudding
3. Sugar Free popsicles(especially since we are getting ours in the summer)
4. Low sodium bouillon cubes
5. Diet snapple/ crystal light/ propel water
..That's all I have so far...everything else you have to pretty much buy as needed...=)
T. Deeds
on 5/29/11 8:41 pm
Hi, I'm one week post-op and here are some of the things I've really been enjoying eating:

-Sugar-Free, Fat-Free  Jello Pudding Mixes (I really like the pistachio flavor for some reason)
-Plain Greek Yogurt
-Eggs
-Ricotta Cheese
-Breakstone Cottage Cheese Doubles
-Sugar-Free Jello snack cups
-Egg Drop Soup (from a Chinese restaurant)
- No Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast
-Baby Food Apples
-Water (either bottled or from a Brita pitcher)

I've found that my stomach doesn't like acidic foods, like tea, coffee, or sugar-free drink mixes.  Also, very cold foods and drinks make my stomach upset, so popscicles are out for me. 

If you don't already have any air freshner at home, you might want to get some.  I've noticed that my sense of smell has dramatically increased and I can smell everything; I feel like a bloodhound.  I have to go through the house several times a day spraying the place down with air freshener, especially in the kitchen.

cajungirl
on 5/29/11 9:19 pm
You've got some good replies.  One suggestion I'll make, don't buy too much your taste will likely change and anything you like or think you can deal with now might not be the same later. 

I suggest protien samples, s/f jello, s/f pudding, s/f popcicles, lots of water so you can sip as often as you can.  Depending on your food plan, you might want to get yogurt and cottage cheese but remember the shelf life if you have to wait 2 weeks before you go to full liquids it may not be good then.  You can probably also have a couple cans of tuna or chicken available for the soft food stage.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

T. Deeds
on 5/30/11 2:28 am
Not all surgeons make patients wait 2 weeks for "full liquids."  My surgeon's office allows those foods 2 days after surgery, if the patient doesn't have any complications.  I had a complication during my surgery and was eating yogurt and cottage cheese 4 days after my surgery.

cajungirl
on 5/30/11 3:54 am
I didn't say she couldn't have "full liquids" and if it came across that way then I apologize to the OP.  MY plan was totally different than anyone elses I've ever seen.  Seven (7) days of clear liquids then straight to lean meats and green leafy veggies.  I've never had a real eating problem, just a few things that didn't/doesn't sit well (eggs depending on how they are cooked, and beef roast).

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

T. Deeds
on 6/1/11 9:50 pm
That is a strange eating plan!  :)

Don 1962
on 5/29/11 9:49 pm
Refried beans.  Soft with protein.  Can add cheese to up the protein.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Carla M.
on 5/30/11 12:00 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
My suggestion is to not stock up too much. Like one of the other repliers sais, your tastes will change. I stocked up on a TON of Crystal Light, only to find that I can't stand it now.  Same with protein powders. The protein samples is a great idea. That way you can experiment and find one you like. Stick to some basics and work from there. If you find an unflavored protein, get it. Yes, it will still have some flavor, but you can mix it with jello, juice, CL, soup, etc and get more protein that way.

Stock up on chewable vitamins and water. I can't drink our cities water because it's disgusting, but I also find that I can keep track of it better in bottles. I buy by the gallon instead of portable bottles, but can track it that way too.
nfarris79
on 5/30/11 1:14 am - Germantown, MD
 Chicken broth. I couldn't stand sweet flavors right after surgery - my protein included! - so chicken broth was a good way to get in liquids and have other tastes in my mouth. I like Pacific organic free-range chicken broth.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 456 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 401 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views
Forum Search Error & 404