Are we allowed decaf coffee??

buddy123
on 5/30/11 12:52 pm
I am in a coffee mood lately and was wondering if decaf was ok for us??
aclay
on 5/30/11 1:02 pm - MA
Hi ...my Nut and Dr. said that decaf and regular coffee are fine.  I was a huge coffee drinker...4 large a day so when I went on the 2 week pre op diet w/no caffeine it was a migrane for 4 days straight.  So I have 1 small decaf w/skim and 2 splenda every morning before my breakfast.  Doesn't bother my stomache at all.  Good luck:)

JudiJudi T
on 5/30/11 1:15 pm
My Nut said I could have half my liquids as decaf .. and I do .. especially as iced coffee!  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

unewillow
on 5/30/11 1:25 pm - CT
Depends on your particular NUT/Surgeon. Some say no caffine at all, some say liquid is liquid caffinated or not. Some say you need to drink 2x as much non-caffinated fluids for every caffinated drink you have.

I'm in the "fluids are fluids" camp and routinely drink a large (like 12-14oz****d coffee with SF vanilla creamer and lots of ice in it a few times a week.

cgnnala
on 5/30/11 1:29 pm, edited 5/30/11 1:41 am
I look at it this way and explained it to my NUT. I have changed my entire life, giving up more than I ever dreamed I would be able to. I did not give up my regular coffee every morning because if I did no one would want to be near me. Yes it has caffeine but it is virtually calorie free and it is a liquid, 20 ozs a day for me. I voted to keep the coffee and still have friends close by.

Referral date: December 9, 2010                   First appointment: January 17, 2011
Approved for surgery: February 23, 2011     Surgery date: March 14, 2011

Onederland: May 9, 2011  
                             Diabetes-GONE, HBP-GONE (no meds since 3/13)
Lorrainecma
on 5/30/11 1:37 pm
I'm pretty sure decaf is fine.

One of the problems with caffeine is that it may cause us to have ulcers. Duodenal ulcers. That perforate and put us in the hospital in a very serious condition.

I love coffee, and was a very big coffee drinker prior to surgery, but I have given it up in hopes of not making more problems for myself.
sherri7794
on 5/30/11 1:38 pm
Every NUT and surgeon has a different plan, so I would recommend following your plan.  I am allowed Decaf coffee on my plan.

buddy123
on 5/30/11 2:05 pm

Thanks everyone.....I was thinking there should be no prob with decaf.  I always have had decaf anyways, b/c I cannot sleep at all if I have to much caffiene!

Thinking some decaf with my lactaid milk and some sugarfree caramel sounds pretty good!!

Wishmeluck123
on 5/30/11 9:13 pm
YESSSS!!! Thank goodness! I actually used to drink my coffee with cream and sugar. Now I drink it black w/ 2 splenda. I actually enjoy it....and save lots of fat and calories from the cream! If I have iced coffee, I find the french vanilla w/ skim milk and some splenda is a treat....and quite yummy! Enjoy...PS: if you do drink decaf it counts towards your fluid intake!

Enjoy...Melissa~
astrong1
on 5/30/11 10:02 pm - Charlotte, NC

I have a decaf protein coffee most mornings. This is how you do it.... Scoop of chocolate protein powder mixed with 2Tablespoons of Fat free half and half mix it until creamy. Now pour in coffee while stirring(if you don't stir and pour it will separate). The best mocha flavor decaf coffee with protein ever. Try it you might like it!

ASTRONG1   "WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OUTWEIGHS THE LOVE OF POWER, PEACE WILL BE PROBABLE"      
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 410 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 23 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?