I think I am eating too much?

Anna M.
on 6/1/11 7:28 am - Manchester, NH
My plan says at this stage I can eat 3/4 of food. So I looked it up and 3/4 = 6oz so I am eating mostly protein right now and have been eating about 6oz of fish at each meal. Did I convert wrong? Is that too much food for 3.5 weeks out?

I am panicking that I did something wrong. I called my dietician but she has not called me back yet.

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/1/11 7:33 am - Baltimore, MD
Well here's the thing.

Cup measurements and weight measurements don't match. In my head, I seem to think 3/4 c. of meat would equal probably about 3-4 oz. of meat using weight measurments.

You might consider asking your nutritionist what weight measurements you should use for meat. They should not give you cup measurements as that is not how meat is measured.

That being said, you sound as if you are choosing lean meats and that won't hurt you so long as it's not uncomfortable to eat. Soft fishes especially just go down well for some folks. Others can't tolerate any kind of meat or fish.

Check with your NUT to see about weight measurements and then post back what she says. At this point I'm hesitant to say it's too much. There are some who would say, by virtue of your post-surgical age, that yes this is too much but they would be wise to remember that we don't all posess the same anatomy.

I know that's not much help but it's what I've got.
Anna M.
on 6/1/11 7:36 am - Manchester, NH
I thought it was weird they told me I could have 3/4 of fish and I usually weigh my fish. Hopefully my dietician will call me back tomorrow morning.

Thank you!

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/1/11 7:41 am - Baltimore, MD
Oh nutritionists are FAMOUS for giving confusing advice. It all makes sense in THEIR heads. They don't get that this is life or death info for us! They need to get with the program!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

wisaluv
on 6/1/11 7:41 am - Pueblo, CO
Im only 9 weeks out and still learning a lot but I agree, its a lean meat, fish is always a good choice.  I think your fine.  My first few weeks after surgery (first month really) I worried that I completely messed up and had the surgery for nothing cause I wasnt doing it right.  lol  But I must be doing something right cause the weight is falling off.  So dont worry too much :)

RedAppleCandie
on 6/1/11 7:42 am
Maybe they meant 3/4 OZ of food, not 3/4 cup.  I know for me personally, I can only do about 2 OZ of food at a time.  Sometimes I have to stop for half an hour or so, then finish.  

Anna M.
on 6/1/11 7:51 am, edited 6/1/11 7:51 am - Manchester, NH
My little book that they print up for everyone says "Meals should be 3/4 cup in size." and they bold the 3/4 cup.

I'm so confused. I hope I haven't done any damage to my pouch. Hopefully I get a call back tomorrow am.

azreggie
on 6/1/11 7:56 am - Tucson, AZ
I was allowed 1/2 cup of food at 6 months and 1 cup at a year.  My surgeon told me to never eat more than 1 cup of food per meal, ever.  I think this is good advice.

Reggie

Anna M.
on 6/1/11 8:00 am - Manchester, NH
So if you have fish do you break it up and measure it in a measuring cup then? What about beef or pork?

shirleyfhoffman
on 6/1/11 8:02 am - CA
I'm 4 weeks out and my plan tells me to eat 1/2 cup meals 4 times a day and 2 shakes. There's NO way i could eat that much food. The hospital sent me home with little plastic medicine cups that hold 2 tbs. (1 fluid ounce). I've just been blending up my food and putting it in the cup. I've been eating 1 meal a day with 3oz of pureed food. I have been getting in my 2 (8oz) shakes a day and I make them with milk so I am still getting in at least 70g of protein and around 233 calories per shake. I figure that even if I didn't eat any food, I would still get 466 calories a day. I think this might be too much so soon out. I see people a month out only eating around 300 calories a day.

HW:340 SW: 292 CW:164 GW: 140-130

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?