I have really f***** myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KM724
on 6/2/11 8:58 am
i am such an idiot. i was supposed to be on my preop diet, which is 1000 calories and low fat and i have not been following it 100% i have cheated a bunch on times. i have really messed things up for myself. i am so scared now, why did i do this?? I want this surgery so bad, i cant believe i did this. i am petrified of going to my surgery on monday and waking up with my stomach cut open instead of being laproscopic or waking up and him not even being able to perform it. i'm petrified. i wish i could take back this last week and a half and start all over. i dont understand how some people dont have to do any type of preop diet at all and they r still able to have the surgery done lap, so confusing. i dont know what to do now.............................

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

Pholaris
on 6/2/11 9:03 am
First off, take a deep breath, then get back on plan for the rest of the week, and hope for the best. It is all you can do at this point.

I would also evaluate why was it that you cheated and see ways of addressing that because even with a succesful surgery, if we can't modify our mindset, we will just sabotage ourselves in the process and is very likely that at some point with go all the way back to eating the wrong way and undo all the good that was done with the surgery.

Best of luck with everything on Monday!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 6/2/11 9:23 am - Belleville, IL
Yes, what the other poster said is so very true...

WHY are you feeling the need to cheat? Is it because you are having the "Last meal syndrome" thinking to yourself "I will never be able to eat X, Y or Z" again??

I am here to tell you that you will be able to eat EVERYTHING post op (well after you heal and are OK'd to by your surgeon of course!) as you did PRE OP... Steaks, burgers, teh occasional SMALL piece of birthday cake, you will be able to eat nearly ALL of it.

But you need to examine why are you turning to food? This is a psychological issue, not physical. I was told I would die within 3 years if I did not have my surgery. That was motivation enough...I was TIRED of food, I did not turn to food as a salve or to "feel better", now I am a bit of an exercise manic.... A much more healthier habit to have, eh?

Get back to whatever pre-op diet plan you are supposed to be on... (Is it all liquids or something else?) CALL your surgeons office tomorrow and let them know if they need to rescheduled. You do NOT want to go through all teh trouble of getting on teh table, having them opening you up and then sewing you up with having done NO surgery because your liver was to big and bloated.

See what your Doctor and Nutritionist recommend. How much weight have you lost on the pre-op diet? How much did they want you to lose? Are you exercising at all? Drinking all your water?

Also, my humble opinion is throw out ANY "non-bariatric" foods from your home...if it isn't THERE it won't be temtpting to turn to.

Good luck.
Warmly,
Jackie

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/2/11 9:32 am
Some doc believe that the smaller the liver - the easier is to do surgery and the least possibility of complications.   Will you be able to have the surgery? probably. but... it may be (does not have to be) more difficult for your doc to do it.  
You are scare... that is good and bad at the same time. 
Good  - since you really need to ask yourself if you are ready for this surgery... will you be able to follow the plan post op?  no matter what?  no matter haw badly the protein smell - taste? or how many times you have to try to get all the proteins and liquids in. 

Maybe that is your time to really look into the reason you sabotage yourself.   The surgery will only do some ... the rest is hard work - a really hard work - for the rest of your life.  Some people regain after 2-3 years - I know I gained some even though I am really dedicated to stay fit.     
The last 3 years - it has been a really hard work for me... as for many peoples..

If you are not ready for the change - real change and real work - then do not have surgery at this time.  Look for counseling and and once you are sure you can do it - have the surgery...

The surgary is like a tool... - compare it with a treadmil or a gym with a trainer... If you think the preop diet was hard... wait... post op diet can be a real ***** ... it is still for me some days.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 11:01 am - San Diego, CA
*LIKE*  Great post, Hala!  I wholeheartedly agree!
losing-jennifer
on 6/2/11 9:48 am
I'm with you on the monday surgery and I'm on 1-2k diet. I have also cheated a little but not too bad. I couldn't resist having a bite of my son's pasta the other night. I think for me it is old habits of opening my mouth without thinking. Stay busy for the next few days! Its what I have to do and its amazing how much I don't think about eating as long as I'm busy. Don't be so hard on yourself either. You can do it!!
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/2/11 10:03 am - OH
I would second what both Jackie and Hala said.  In order to be successful with the surgery long term you are going to have to address the psychological/emotional issue(s) contributing to the self-sabotage. Those issues will not magically go away after surgery.

I also agree that you should be honest with the surgoen's office tomorrow and ask them whether or not you should reschedule your surgery if you are that concerned about ending up with open surgery (or NO surgery at all).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Heather G.
on 6/2/11 10:09 am
On June 2, 2011 at 5:03 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:
I would second what both Jackie and Hala said.  In order to be successful with the surgery long term you are going to have to address the psychological/emotional issue(s) contributing to the self-sabotage. Those issues will not magically go away after surgery.

I also agree that you should be honest with the surgoen's office tomorrow and ask them whether or not you should reschedule your surgery if you are that concerned about ending up with open surgery (or NO surgery at all).

Lora
I agree with this. I also very, very strongly suggest you get a handle on the psychological aspect before your surgery -- which may mean choosing to postpone your surgery, anyway, even if the surgeon agrees to do it now. If you don't get a grip on things beforehand, you'll only continue to sabotage yourself after surgery -- and it's a lot harder to start over if you re-gain the weight post-op.

HW: 299 / SW: 286 / CW: 175 / GW: 144-165 / Height: 5'9"

Angela R.
on 6/2/11 11:15 am - Jewett City, CT
Just go right back to it... stop cheating you have a few days to get that extra fatty liver smaller.. Hugs
Angela 
Revision Surgery from Lapband to Gastric Bypass... 1/3/11
Start 290 / Now 208/oal 180 (Doctor set goal)

cate81
on 6/2/11 11:33 am
 I think they are being a little harsh. I had to lose weight before the surgery to shrink my liver but it was not 1000 calories a day. You were hungry and nothing was changed yet. You will most likely be fine as some people lose the weight and even gain it back and they do surgery. I follow my plan for the most part now but the night before I had a panini and fro yo, all my doc said was no eating after 12. Don't worry so much and do the best you can. Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself, just move forward.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics