Did you really follow your preop diet?? No judging plz!!

KM724
on 6/2/11 6:45 am
be honest...... is there anyone that totally did not follow their preop diet before surgery????

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/2/11 6:51 am - Baltimore, MD
Ok the "no judging" request. Would that be because you are NOT following the diet (or contemplating not following it). Because here are the facts:

Your surgeon put you on that diet for a reason. To make it easier for him to perform this major surgery on you. Your LIFE is in his/her hands and they want to make sure you come through surgery ok.

The problem with "cheating" is that it begats cheating. One incident turns to several and then the next thing you know you say "to hell with it."

And really...you're better than that. Stronger than that. You can do this! At the very least, think of the fact that it'll take at least this much tenacity to NOT go postal on someone after surgery for eating bacon around you in the early days post-op.

So buck up, my friend! It's hard. I recognize that. But you can DO this.

To answer your question, I was not required to do a pre-op diet.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

KM724
on 6/2/11 7:11 am
Nik- your surgeon didnt require a preop diet?? I will be honest there have been sometimes where i did cheat on my diet but i really have stuck with it for the most part i guess. I truely believe in myself that i will do well after surgery, i dont plan on cheating at all, its not even in my mind. I am way to scared of the consequences in that. why did you have urs open instead of lap, my surgeon plans on doing it lap but said that there is always a chance that he may have to do it open instead.

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

Lady Lithia
on 6/2/11 7:46 am
Every other month or so it seems that someone comes on here whose surgeon went in, saw the size of their liver, and zipped em right back up again without doing the surgery. In nine out of ten cases this is a person who mucked up their pre-op diet.

I wouldn't chance it myself. I was ready, willing, and able to go on a six week liquid diet if my surgeon recommended it. Ended up he only wanted me to do the bowel prep.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Paul C.
on 6/2/11 6:51 am - Cumming, GA
I can honestly say  that yes I did follow my preop diet to the letter!

For me why start out on the wrong foot. If I was going to have this procedure I had to commit 100% to the whole process, and for me that meant both pre and post op.  Besides the risks are to great to not do what you can before going into surgery.

Good Luck
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
JOoms
on 6/2/11 6:56 am
I honestly only cheated once on my preop diet.  I chewed on some noodles and spit it out.  I spent those two weeks on liquids with teeth bleaching strips in my mouth so I couldn't eat.  I moved people with food out of the house.  This was over Christmas time and I went to parties with my protein drinks and a can of V-8.  You can do this.  It's worth the work.  It's a great journey and hard at the same time. 

Shrinking my liver helped lower my chances for complications.  I wanted to live and that's why I had surgery.  I tried to think of the preop diet the same way.  As a tool to live.
Judi J.
on 6/2/11 6:58 am - MN
I had open so thankfully didn't have a pre-op diet. I have seen posts where folks have cheated but you run the risk of either no surgery or open surgery so you have a few days left, buck up!

I was also mad jealous of people who had surgery the same month as me and lost a lot of weight on their pre-op diet since I had last meal itis. Those were pounds they didn't need to lose post-op.

If you've only cheated a little, buck up. If you've cheated a lot you may want to fess up to your surgeon and see if he/she wants to reschedule. Some surgeons won't do open. good luck to you! You can do this. Look at some of the people who post here, if they can do it, you can do it!
Lady Lithia
on 6/2/11 7:47 am
Worse than "no surgery" or "open surgery" ..... there's the risk that he's gonna punch a bunch of holes in your guts, get all ready, take a look at the liver, then close you up again... so you get surgery, but you DON'T get anything FOR it.

Serious BUMMER

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

adamsamah
on 6/2/11 7:00 am - Nixa, MO
I did NOT cheat on the pre-op diet. I figured I was on it for a reason and after surgery my dear surgeon said I had a "beautiful" liver. He's obviously a sick man!!
You can do it. It is just the first of many challenges you will face but all of them are sooooo worth the new life you'll be getting.
Hugs and one day (or one hour) at a time.
Lana

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/2/11 7:13 am
I followed my diet preop. Would not wanted to risk any complications. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics