Post Surgical Infection - who's had one and do you know what caused it?

graceful
on 6/2/11 11:07 am
I was kind of hoping for some feedback about this. I had lap-RNY 4/4/11 and recovered nicely (initially at any rate). Six weeks out, with all of my external stitches closed up and looking good, I suddenly developed an abdominal infection under one of my incisions. It came on very suddenly  - as in at 6 p.m. on that Wednesday night I felt a little achey all over and had a small red spot at site, and the next morning at 7 a.m. I was red from under from left breast to my pelvic bone and very, very sore with a huge, smushy knot (which I assume was an abscess) under that incision site.

Anyway I called my surgeon's answering service that morning and the surgeon called me back later, saying I must have pulled a muscle and to stretch and put heat on the area (grrr). He was insistent that I could not possibly have developed an infection that late out.

I ended up going to my local ER that afternoon, and when my surgeon was informed he prescribed a course of Keflex, and saw me the following Monday.

The Keflex worked, but I finished it up 2 days ago. My surgeon didn't want to explore WHY or HOW I had gotten this infection: there were no CT scans, X-rays and the only bloodwork ordered was what I had in the ER - so I don't know if I got this infection from something simple that is now resolved, or if there's something serious going on in my abdomen and the infection will just keep reoccurring.

So here's my question:If you had an abdominal infection after surgery, how far out were you, and did you know what caused it? (As in leak along a staple line, or an internal stitch that popped.) I guess I'm paranoid about this occurring again and kind of upset with my surgeon that he didn't want to take this seriously (or as seriously as I wanted him to take it.)

Sara B.
on 6/3/11 12:35 am - Edenton, NC
I developed one two weeks post op on my site closest to my stomach. My doctor is 2 hours away so I had the idea of taking a picture and emailing it to him. He agreed I def. had one so he called me in a prescription of amoxicillin that I took for 7 days. It cleared it up and all was well.

I am a surgical tech. and work in the OR assisting surgeons. I can tell you that infection rate in ANY surgical procedure is EXTREMELY high and not uncommon. It might not happen that day, week or even month. I have seen first hand people develop infections several months later and actually have to have a second surgery to go in and drain/clean the infection site that is internal. Don't be alarmed and or worry its common. I know thats sometimes hard to accept but it's the truth. Just take all your antibiotics and keep an eye on it.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics