What are the best Protein Drinks and Bars

mjones231
on 6/2/11 12:33 pm, edited 6/2/11 12:34 am
I would like some help deciding which protein bars and drinks are the best and least expensive. I have not yet tried any of them but I would like some of your opinions before I go out and waste a bunch of money shopping around trying to find one that is suitable. Also what is a good way to prepare the drinks?

Ladytazz
on 6/2/11 12:50 pm
 Taste is so subjective.  I have tried many and none of them are delicious, many just tolerable.  What works for me is using Body Fortress from Walmart because of the price and then doctoring them up to make them taste better.  I use sugar free syrups, sugar free pudding mixes, coffee, different milks (soy, almond) cottage cheese, yogurt, whatever I can find to mix it up.  I really enjoy them now  so I have 3 a day.  Sometimes I add unflavored whey isolate to things, too, like pudding.
As far as protein bars, I'm not too big on them.  Don't really care for the stats.  Too many carbs for too little protein, but I have used the Pure protein bar in a pinch when I need something portable.  They aren't too bad.  None of them taste like candy bars unless they are mainly candy bars with some protein added to make people feel less guilty about eating candy bars.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

mjones231
on 6/2/11 1:37 pm
Body Fortress it is...Im going to go to Walmart tomorrow and purchase a couple of containers of it. Hopefully I will be able to get used to the taste and learn how to have fun with the different ways of mixing it up. Have you ever tried the Atkins Advantage shakes and bars they dont have too many carbs although I have never tried them

lulusmom87
on 6/2/11 12:52 pm
I use Body Fortress Protein Powder.  I find that if I add one of the Torani sugar-free syrups and blend with ice, they're fine.   At Wal-Mart, I just bought a 2 pound jar for $14.99.  Very reasonable

My protein bar of choice are the Pure Protein line.  They're not bad tasting, have between 18-20 grams of protein and only 180 calories.  Best of all, Wegman's had them today for $.88 each.

mjones231
on 6/2/11 1:39 pm
May I ask what section of the supermarket would I find the Torani sugar-free syrups.
celticfemale
on 6/2/11 1:50 pm - OH
RNY on 04/12/11 with
 My Walmart carries 4-5 flavors - Hazelnut, Vanilla, Chocolate, Raspberry, Caramel and French Vailla... they are in the coffee aisle at my stores.  Make sure to look for the blue label as those are the SF syrups!

HW - 270/ SW -247/ CW - 210/ SGW -200/ GW -150
I know God won't give me more than I can handle... I just wish he didn't trust me so much!  

Day_dream_believer
on 6/3/11 2:19 am
If you are a member of Sams Club they have a large selection of Sugar Free syrups for a good price. 
LteNight
on 6/2/11 2:48 pm - Marietta, GA
 Pure Protein is good and doesn't taste too bad. 
Highest weight (5/26/10) - 376, Surgery Weight(6/2/10) - 366  

savedbygrace10
on 6/2/11 1:49 pm - Byron, GA
Mark - I have seen the SF syrups around the coffee and tea. Not sure if anywhere else. I think you can also order them online.

mjones231
on 6/2/11 1:55 pm
Everyone thanks for the pointers. I will start at Walmart.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 333 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 333 views