How to QUIT the morning cig?

lilfatgirlfrommissouri
on 6/3/11 10:43 am - MO
I have to be smoke free for surgery. I have really come a long way from a pack and a half a day to like 3 cigs a day. I get a horriable craving in the morning when I have my cup of coffee and cant seem to let it go :(.
   Anyone else have this issue? I smoke a cig in the morning with my coffee some times 2 cigs, and maybe 1 after dinner altho i have almost completely let that 1 go. Im trying so hard to quit ,My surgeon said my surgery would most likely be in august but she wants me completely smoke free at least a month before surgery. anyone have any advice on how to cut these last morning cigs?
Thanks in advance :)

carly44
on 6/3/11 10:47 am - hazlet, NJ
it is soooo hard to quit! I was not able tocompletely quit before surgery...I'd sneal one a day. BUt Ihave not smoked once since surgery...I figured if Iwas in the hospital for three days and couldn't smoke, made it through...then I didn't need them anymore. I'm not saying it was easy.....I still think about them EVERYDAY and want one EVERYDAY....but it's been >8 weeks now.  I committed to a healthier happier life and that means breaking ALL my addictions.......Good LUck and keep trying........

Beth_Buffy
on 6/3/11 10:52 am - cicero, NY
i quite 1 year ago today .i was a heavy smoker i smoked 2 to 2and a half packs a day for 23 yrs i did start with the patch but i only wore them for 7 days after that it didnt bother me you have to get busy doing other things when you have a craving or get some sf hard candy
lilfatgirlfrommissouri
on 6/3/11 11:04 am - MO
Thats some good advice thanks:) Thinkin about it now.. and if i broke my morning routine( grab coffee, grab a cig and sit at the computer while i drink my coffee and smoke my cig) I might just be able to let it go.. Im going to try that in the morning maybe sit on the porch and drink my coffee or take the dogs in the back yard and let them run around while i check out my flowers :) It might just work... i hope anyways lol I want to be able to have my surgery and not have to post pone even longer because of 1 or 2 cigs a day :/

tinkerbaby
on 6/3/11 12:12 pm - NY
I also was a 2+ pack a day for 25 yrs smoker. And I have tried 1000 x's to quit. As I was getting checked over for surgery they found 2 "spots" on my lungs. For 2 months during further testing I drove myself crazy! I have 3 teenage children and am only 38... this couldn't be happening to me! After extensive testing they were later able to come to the conclusion they were both scar tissue. I 1st got the news of the "spots" in the middle of November. I went right home that day called my doctor and got a prescription for chantix. My doctor was very happy and swore by this prescription. I smoked the 1st week like normal... cut down day by day and by Nov 31st I said good bye forever. Unfortunately for the doctor who had quit by this prescription himself was soon to be diagnosed with 4th stage lung cancer. (sad) Anyways..... things that helped me  was that I didnt smoke in my house ever. So it was a bother to run outside and grab those drags. Especialy in winter. And then when I caught myself thinking of them... I would quickly think of something else... I also reminded myself that a craving itself only last a cpl minutes. You may get many a day at 1st... but they will slowly go away. And the fact you are down to 3 cigs a day... what the heck.. just say no. I quit with a pack of cigs sitting right on my counter. So I knew it was a decision, not a forced issue.... all was being done by choice.. my choice! I hope this helps and I wish u luck. If you are willing to subject yourself to surgery for a healthier life... U owe urself this! Good luck and keep us posted pls !

DebsGiz
on 6/3/11 12:28 pm - FL

Think about asking your doctor to prescribe both Zyban and the nicotine patch to be used simultaneously. 

Both my husband and I did it this way and while it wasn't "easy," it was not all that bad either.

My husband was a four pack a day smoker who did not really want to quit, but thought he'd give it a try and it still worked for him.  We have both been smoke free for over ten years.

The interesting thing about the Zyban and the nicotine patch is that when both of us have quit in the past, there were always times when a cigarette would smell good or a craving would rear it's head; however, neither of us have had them since quitting with this method.

Seriously, the smell of a cigarette actually turns both of us flat off.  I cannot even believe I used to smoke because I find it so absolutely distasteful now.

Anyhow, wishing you lots of luck in your campaign to be smoke free!! 
lilfatgirlfrommissouri
on 6/3/11 12:45 pm - MO
Thanks ladies :) I know 3 cigs i should just be able to stop right? but the craving in the morning is so bad some days i have even only smoked 1 cig lol but it seems when i have my coffee in the morning i cant get that massive craving for a cig to go away :(

shellbell75
on 6/4/11 12:49 am
I have smoke free 4 weeks tomorrow!! I was a pack a day + smoker for 17 years. I will be honest I did NOT want to quit.....at all. I knew I had to quit for surgery. In fact I was quite pissed about it and told the world. LOL

I only smoked outside, but I did find that the am cigg was hard also. I used the patch for 2 weeks, then these past 2 weeks haven't used anything. Changing your routine up is great advice. 

I am really impressed that you can do only 3 a day. I am an all or nothing type person. If I can't have 72 I don't want any. LOL 

Maybe, you could drop one every week and mentally prepare yourself for that last am one? 

Good luck. I know how hard it is. 
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

RachelRaye
on 6/4/11 3:01 am
I gave up my morning cup of coffee in order to give up my morning smoke.

It worked for me. YOU can do it. You are almost there.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 352 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 352 views