New student

Jacobsmama08
on 6/4/11 2:33 am - Morgan Hill, CA
Just want to share : I'm 37 years old and I just went back to school. This is phase 2 of the new me for 2011 (my RNY being phase 1!)... I have just completed my first week at Everest college, a trade school, to get a certificate in Medical Administrative Assisting. I had to tests this week, which I got A's on, both. YAY! Did I mention it's been more than half my life since I was in a classroom? I'm enjoying it very much. After being home for the past 3 1/2 years with my son (who's 3 and going to preschool, now, full time and LOVES it!) I am going to get back in the work force and NOT work in retail, or food service... No Target, or Starbucks or being on my feet 8 hours a day. No crazy hours, part time jobs with ne benefits... I'm gonna have a 'real job', a career, something that I can til til I retire. YAY!!  It worked out really well, in that the last day I had any real pain or tenderness was my first day of school, and since then, nothing, no pain at all. Yay!! It'll be five weeks on Monday, and I haven't been on a scale in about 7days... As of course, my advice, from all of you, was to throw it out the window, as I was frustrated... So I figure I'll weigh every couple weeks. Maybe I'll actually see some movement I can be happy with!

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

Amy T.
on 6/4/11 2:44 am - CA
Way to go!!!  I just turned 40 this year and went back to school too.  That was my phase 1, my phase 2 comes Friday when I have my RNY.   I have 3 weeks off before my summer session at school starts, then phase 3 in July we move into our home we have been building!  Lots of changes this year and POSITIVE changes....

I find I have been enjoying school much more at an older age, and have maintained a 4.0 this year.  It was well worth the wait for me and Im sure it will be for you too!

Enjoy your time there and I look forward to hearing about your success!

Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

Jacobsmama08
on 6/4/11 3:06 am - Morgan Hill, CA
Thanks for sharing your journey, we moved into our first home a year ago, so maybe that was my phase 1, huh?  You've got 3 weeks to get on your feet, here's hoping you are one of the lucky ones that don't have a lot of drama after your surgery.  Every BODY is different, but if you live by the rules STRICTLY you should have less issues. And when I say issues I mean throwing up, trips to the hospital, not being able to eat, dehydration. I was one of the lucky ones, knock on wood, I have very little issue with food... did have pain in my left side for about a month.... but not intolerable after the first couple weeks. You'll be fine to go back kin 3 weeks, and actually, maybe even a good idea,  some activity to get your mind off it. Just don't forget to eat/ hydrate!! Good luck to you!!

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

nursenaomi85
on 6/4/11 6:53 am - houston, TX
Yay way to go!!! It's never to late to go back to school! Have you checked with your local community college or vocational school to see if they had your major. It will save you thousands in the long run. I have been a victim and also some friends of my of the everest college. They charged us a whopping 12,500 for 8 months, when the local community college had the same exact course for less than 1200 in the same amount of time. I luckily did my research and was able to get out of it before the whole 12,500 was due and was only charged for the student loans they took out. Do your research and check out rip off report. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
HW:322   CW:180   1st goal: 150    2nd goal:125-130(im a shorty)  

kimberly S.
on 6/4/11 8:36 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Kudos to you! I may make a suggestion though having worked in the healthcare industry for about 20 years and worked with many MA's, that you do a bit of checking on Everest College. I am almost positive that the one where I live has had some accreditation issues and were in ho****er not too long ago. Try researching colleges on College Board and also check the US Department of Education. Sometimes technical schools like to churn people out and it makes it difficult to get a good paying job afterwards due to all of the competition, so you want the best value for your money. However, with that said, I am very happy for you! Here is to a wonderful new you in 2011.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail" ~ Benjamin Franklin

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 475 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 374 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views