complete loss. PLEASE HELP

twooten
on 6/6/11 6:48 am - Loveland, CO
 the nurse called and said my ultrasound was normal.... for both gallbladder and stomach.... 

how can this be? i eat anything and i get horrible pain and pressure on the right side of my chest and back. Stabbing pain off and on under my right breast and through the side of my rib cage, today if i take too big of a breath my right side hurts, and i have horrible headaches over my right eye...  pain lasts for about an hour or so and i have thrown up 3 times from this... 

the nurse said she would leave the doc a note to call me tomorrow... i'm at a loss
Tami HW: 288 / SW: 273 / SG: 187 GOAL REACHED / PG: 160
facethemusic
on 6/6/11 6:54 am
Tell them you want them to do a HIDA scan.  When my GB was acting up my symptoms were a lot like yours.  They did the ultrasound and said my GB looked fine, but the doctor decided to do a HIDA scan just to be sure since my symptoms fit with GB issues.  During the HIDA scan they inject you with this stuff to make your gallbladder dump so they can see the radioactive stuff go through you.  Well after the scan the radiologist asked if I was sure I still had a gallbladder.  It turned out that the duct between my gallbladder and liver was full of gallstones.  I had mine taken out that afternoon.  

If he wont' do it then you need to try to get answers from your PCP or go to the ER.  If the pain is too bad I would go to the ER. 
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

_Donna_
on 6/6/11 6:57 am
If your galbladder is non-functioning an ultrasound wont indicate that.
It's been a long time since I had mine removed but when I did the test, I had to take a bunch of pills so my galbladder would light up in an xray, when it didnt they knew it was non functioning
twooten
on 6/6/11 6:58 am - Loveland, CO
 I will talk to them tomorrow when i go in for my appointment unless he calls me first. but i have been feeling hot all day so i'm going home now taking my temp and seeing what it is. they told me if i run a fever to call them... 

It took my doc 1 month to order the scopy to find my stitcure i had. b/c he wanted me to start the diet stages all over again to see if that would fix things.... i refuse to let this take that long i can not deal with the pain like this for much longer. 
Tami HW: 288 / SW: 273 / SG: 187 GOAL REACHED / PG: 160
_Donna_
on 6/6/11 7:14 am
When I would have galbladder pain, I would take a super hot bath and the pain would almost immediately go away. I almost felt guilty for wasteing water.
Mandypants402
on 6/6/11 7:26 am - Canada
A bath works great as well as a few aleeve! Got me through till I had my GB removed
facethemusic
on 6/6/11 7:33 am
Aleve is great, but not for RNY patients.  Aleve is an NSAID a huge no-no because it can lead to ulcers. 

I agree with the hot bath though.  That may help some or maybe put a rice sock or heating pad on it to see if it helps.
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

babybooo828
on 6/6/11 8:10 am
 I am going through the same thing right now myself. I had an ultra sound that showed something wrong. Then I had a CT scan done with IV and oral contrast and they said everything was fine. I'm not sure why  keep vomitting and getting in pain. My surgeon told me to "chew better and eat slower". Uh, duh! I'm already doing that, so if it persists, I will continue to make visits to his office. Ugh. I feel for you. I hope the doctors can figure out something for you and soon. 

rbb825
on 6/6/11 4:19 pm - Suffern, NY
severe nausea/vomitting and abdominal pain is sure sign of gallbladder problems.  Unfortunetly, an ultrasound is only conclusive in a small amount of patients.  Yes, it can show gallstones in the gallbladder but it doesnt' always show them in the ducts.  Many also have sludge which sometimes shows up.  The main problem for many of us is that after losing a significant amout of weight, our gallbladders stop working even though we have no gallstones, so an ultrasound is pretty useless.  The next test that is needed is a HIDA scan - this determines if the gallbladder is functioning. If it isn't functioning, it needs to come out no matter what.  How did they explain your ultrasound showing a problem?  Did they tell you what it was?  Did they pursue that problem or did they just ignore it because the CT was normal?

Please insist on a HIDA scan.  IF that is normal, then you know that your gallbladder is fine but I tend to think it will be abnormal but if it is normal - then ask for an Endoscopy to see if you have an ulcer.  Sometimes the symptoms can be similar.  Are you taking a PPI - prilosec, prevacid, protonix or nexium?  These should be taken at the beginning to prevent ulcers and reflux.  Many surgeons require it for a year but unfortunately many require it for less.

babybooo828
on 6/7/11 12:26 am
 Well, first I had an endoscopy to look for strictures/ulcers and that was completly normal. So then I was sent for an ultrasound. I was told there was somthing "cystic" that showed up. So that is when I was sent for a CT scan with the IV and oral contrast that they said was normal. So they have done nothing else. I made an appointment with my surgeon to discuss this. Thats when I was told to chew better. If I continue to vomit, be assured that I will be back in my surgeons office finding out what can be done. 

Vomitting all the time with pain is not normal. And, well after vomiting a few times, wouldn't you think if it was a chewing issue, that I would have learned to chew better and eat slower. I think so. So I really don't think it is anything I am doing wrong. 

I have never heard of a HIDA scan, but next time I see my doctor, I will be mentioning it. 

Also, I do take a PPI. I take 40mg of omeprazole (prilosec) each morning. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 7 views
Recent Topics