still happy that i had the surgery

Me13
on 6/9/11 6:11 am
June 9, 2011

It's been so long since I've written, but here I am -- still alive and still much smaller than I was just 10 months ago.  I think I stopped losing weight a couple of months ago.  I don't know; I am not as obsessive about weighing myself.  All I know is that last night I wore a size 10 jeans and got lots of complement.  

I still haven't bought a lot of new clothes, so when I wear something a little more snug on my body, I do get lot of comments.

I remember right before my surgery and right after my surgery I was on this website ALL THE TIME.  I wondered if I was going to die, what the hell was I doing, was I losing weight fast enough -- the whole thing.  And WHERE, I wondered, WERE ALL THE PEOPLE WHO HAD HAD THE SURGERY?  

And the truth is, in my experience, that we become less obsessed with this website because we are off, indeed, living our lives.  The whole surgery things is not, as it turns out, as dramatic as we all think it will be.  We find out what we can eat, what we can't eat, and how much we can eat without feeling ill and then we move on.  We go about our lives because the only thing that has changed, really, is the size of our stomach and what we can eat and how much.  We're probaly more hyper-aware about food than we have ever been, but that's a good thing. 

I'm still thrilled (and I know I'm still in the "honey-moon" phase, that I had the surgery.  I can now catch up to my running kids: I can sit in chairs with confidence, I can do things like horseback ride or skydive or sleep on a bunk without too much fear of the weight limits... I can take pictures with my kids and not be so self-conscious about it.

it's all good. 

The only thing that I am still trying to figure out is my clothing size -- somewhere in between 10 and 14.  

I like eating healthier things and not being able to eat sugar.  And I like passing my knowledge of healthier eating onto my kids.  I think that's been the best part of the whole thing.
Height: 5'6".  Top Weight/Surgery Weight: 274. (August 2010)
8 weeks out:  219.6.  12 weeks out:  198. 
NORMAL WEIGHT REACHED MARCH 2011 (153 lbs.).
Goal BMI:  In the normal range, please -- somewhere between 22-24 
Clothing size 26/28 (triple X) before surgery in August of 2010. 
March 2011 clothing size:  10/12 (large)

Lap. RNY and Gallbladder Removal, Dr. Choi @ Danbury Hospital, Aug. 2010

Sillycar
on 6/9/11 6:25 am
Loved this post... especially about where did all the successful people go. Great reassurance for those of us about to go into the OR. Glad you are doing well and thanks again for the reassuring post.

adamsamah
on 6/9/11 6:52 am - Nixa, MO
Great post and I so agree. I try to make myself post to try to pay back some of the good advice and reassurance I got before my surgery but it is true that we are not so obsessed with our journey - we are too busy living.
You will all be with us eventually and you'll be so glad you had the surgery. Tomorrow night is our support group and I am going to remind people to get out there and LIVE.
Hugs,
Lana

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

Amy T.
on 6/9/11 8:04 am - CA
Great post!  I really needed that today - as tomorrow I go into the OR.  Thanks for putting things into perspective! 

Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

vervetoloose
on 6/9/11 8:42 am
Enjoyed your post.

For me reading OH and posting on occassion is kinda like going to church. It helps keep things in perspective.

" Oh you who love clear edges more than anything...........watch the edges that blurr."

Holly O.
on 6/9/11 10:15 am - FL
 Thank you for posting this..............I am having surgery June 15........next Wednesday and a tad nervous but excited.  I looked at your pics............you have done an amazing job.  You are an inspiration to all of us.  Loved your pics in Africa!!  So lovely!!  Again...........keep living your life but do drop by now and again to say "Hi!".............Holly
   Holly                                      
D-J
on 6/9/11 12:11 pm
thank you ,thank you,thank you,is all i can say,,you have no idea what an inspiration this post is ,,i am having my surgery on the 16th and i am exactly where you used to be,,275 ,triple x,,the idea of being near or around the 150's sounds so foriegn to me right now,,you make it seem achieveable and that there is life afterwards,,, thank you for taking the time to touch us,,because you have..God Bless
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 383 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 87 views
Recent Topics