Dumping

Tessmama_of4
on 6/9/11 4:36 pm
I am so afraid to experience the dumping syndrom..I am not sure why. Is anyone else like this?? I know everyone probably experiences one time or another but I am afraid to do it. One other question is i am 6 weeks out and my weight seems to be slow the scale is not moving much right now is this normal?? Also I am able to eat more than 2 oz, I have been feeling a little more hungry and I made a little more than what i am suppose to have of salad and turkey chili and it 3 or 4 oz and it was good. I have not felt the full mark yet that is kina scary for me..When do you feel that??
Lady Lithia
on 6/9/11 5:07 pm
Only 30% of people who have RNY experience dumping syndrome. So 7 out of 10 people with RNY never experience it.

I did NOT want to be a dumper, and was reassured when I knew the odds were in my favor. Alas, I was not one of the lucky ones, I dump.... like a truck. Fear of dumping is one of the TOOLS that a lot of people use to help keep them on the straight and narrow and away from foods that are not optimal for maximum weight loss.

MOST people experience a slowdown in the first few months. I lost only ONE pound in my second week, and I lost NOTHING For the following FIVE WEEKS.... but here I am at goal! It's natural and normal.

Just because you CAN eat more than 2 oz does not mean you should. Remember that they cut your nerves... you won't feel full for a while (I didn't get the sensation for more than six months) which is why you have to measure volume in the beginning.

Just expect that "FULL" won't come to you until you are six months to a year out....and go by the book on the volumes you should be consuming. Many individuals really notice a remarkable difference as those nerves mature.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Lorrainecma
on 6/9/11 9:41 pm
Thanks for sharing on the stall you had when you were first out also. Sometimes I get scared that I will fail, and I wonder what I am doing wrong. I hate that you had to suffer through such a long stall, but sharing this has helped me feel better about my own stall.
nfarris79
on 6/10/11 1:16 am - Germantown, MD
 I've seen posts of people who wished they'd dump. I apparently dump on high carb things (mashed potatoes, watermellon) and really high fats (extremely greasy sausage). It feels horrific, so I'm not sure I'd be too happy about it, even if it really drives home the point of "I can't eat X". Like LL said, it happens to the MINORITY of RNYers so it is more rare than you probably think. My advice is don't tempt fate.
6 week slow-down or even stall is very normal. If your scale starts to drive you batty, take a vacation from it. You'll see changes in many more important ways - increasing energy, better fitting clothes, etc. 
Remember that we have nerves severed at surgery so it takes them a while to grow back to give us the real "sensations" of fullness & hunger. Keep on your plan's schedule and weigh/measure regardless of what you "can" tolerate. It's important not to push what your capacity is but what your body will need. Slider or moist or low-density foods will go in easier per normal. Just stick to what you're supposed to do and you'll be fine.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

_Donna_
on 6/10/11 1:21 am
I dump with sugar, 6 grams or more and I am off to the bathroom then in bed for an hour. It's horrible!
I feel full and I am only 5 weeks out.

RNY 5-5-2011

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 383 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?