Made step 1: DITCHED the scale, aaah scary!

catje1977
on 6/10/11 4:02 pm - Raamsdonksveer, Netherlands

Hi Guys

Thanks for all of your kind words when I was so down this week. I let all of your words sink in and came to the conclusion:

-YES, I do need to focus on the things I am doing right. I did exercise 3 times this week and also I did walk 4 nights on a sporting event with my boys so it was by far the most active week since surgery and a good start for building up an exercise regime.

-YES I do need to cut back the (simple) carbs. I am thinking of doing shakes for 1 of 2 days to reset my mind, would that be helpful or hurtful?

-and YES: I need to stop focussing on the scales for a while because the have been getting me down and obsessed for over 6 weeks now and it is just NOT worht it. So i did it, I ditched the scales today (well I put them up way high and even asked my DH tpo hide them...juvenile I know... but hey whatever works...) I decided not to weigh myzelf till july 1st (or maybe even till we go on holiday july 24th but that's a long strtch for me...)

I am VERY scared of doing this. Scared that nothing will have budged or scared that -even worse!- I'll have gained once I weigh again. But it really IS time to focus on other stuff.

I lost so much weight already. Sure I would like to lose more, but after all is said and done, I feel so GOOD already and I look the part. Perople constantly estimate me in onederland, they think I weigh 80 kilograms while in reality I weigh 111. So let's just try to focus on how I FEEL these few weeks to come. Focus on trying to enjoy my wiehgt loss so far, trying to come to peace with this weight- should it stay there. trying just to enjoy life, be active, and try to make healthy choices.

So my plan for this week:

-no weighing (feels scary but also like a relief!)

-go to gym at least 3 times again (tuesday, thursday, saturday)

-make healthy , good for me choices. (i.e. no simple carbs)

-ENJOY my new life and be active with my young kids.

Sounds like a plan? I am still shaky on my feet, because i really was VERY low in the dumps this week, but at least i'm on my feet again.

LOVE you all for helping and sharing!

Scaredy cat

flyingwoman
on 6/10/11 4:06 pm
Good for you! Be proud!
Ladytazz
on 6/10/11 4:37 pm
 If you want to do protein shakes for a few days to detox from the carbs that wouldn't hurt anything.  A lot of people do the 5 day pouch test, which is kind of the same thing.  The important thing is to detox so you lose the cravings.  It takes a few days but you will feel so much better when you do.
May I add a few more suggestions that have served me well?  Increase your protein.  I get in at least 100 grams a day, usually much more.  And increase your fluid intake.  I aim for 100oz a day.  Those 2 things, along with no refined carbs, are the reason I believe I have lost the weight I have.
Good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Price S.
on 6/10/11 8:41 pm - Mills River, NC
Sounds like a plan.  I agree with Tazz.  Getting your protein and water up can only be a good thing.  If you are Eating right, getting your protein and water, you will lose.  Everyone stalls from time to time but those things will make it shorter.
Have a great week.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Melissalove3
on 6/10/11 11:02 pm - Portland, OR

I think your plan sounds GREAT! I do think that having protein shakes for a couple of days will help you cut back on the carbs and help you reset.  It typically takes 3 days to get it out of your system. I myself had the carb monster creep back and I also did shakes, yogart, cottage cheese, and fish for 3 days to get myself back on track.

MarilynT
on 6/11/11 1:27 am
Cat....I'm going to join you on the "no scale" thing. While I don't really have to lose, I have been higher than my "healthy weight range" by 5 pounds and every time I start to approach it, I'm back up! So I'm putting the scale away and not going to check again until Friday. I am going to focus on avoiding unhealthy carbs (tortilla chips did me in yesterday), exercising at least 4x this week, and working on some of my hobbies (which I've been neglecting) instead of mindlessly munching in the evenings and see how I feel at the end of the week.

Good luck to you!

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

catje1977
on 6/11/11 2:20 pm - Raamsdonksveer, Netherlands

Great marilyn, let's support each other through this!

you ARE an inspitaion you know that, I can only HOPE to be where you are at so many years out. I bypassed the scale this morning for the first time. It felt awkward but good :-)

hey I might start a challengge topic, who knows who will join us!

smilz
on 6/11/11 1:30 pm
Hi Cat

I have been having similar issues with the scale and have thought the same way that maybe i should get rid of it for a while and stop obsessing over it....its def  a hard thing to do...but knowing that im not the only one makes it easier....and Im going to do it with you..I think we had surgery a week apart if I can remember correctly...I feel like I have been fighting the same 5-8 pounds for months....I have lost quite a bit so far...but I still have alot to lose as well...so i want to get out of this rut....

Good luck Cat...and thanks for post!!

T.
catje1977
on 6/11/11 2:21 pm - Raamsdonksveer, Netherlands

hey T

Marilyn joins us also! I will start a new thread with a challenge on it for people who want to ditch the scale with me so maybe you can join me there and we can keep each other posted!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics