Just had a baby and need to get back on track! Need to get back to basics. What do I do?

sparkling_dawn
on 6/12/11 12:13 pm - New Castle, IN
I just had a baby 3 weeks ago - found out I was pregnant one year from my surgery date exactly. I was about 25 pounds from my new goal (I met my original goal and never thought I would lose that much weight). I am still carrying 10 pounds of baby weight. And I broke all the rules when I was pregnant because i was terrified that baby would not get enough. He is healthy. All is good. I was unable to solely breastfeed though, supply is low and doctor thinks it may be because of surgery. Anyway I am pumping and supplementing with formula. I can't completely cut my diet down to what it was post-op because I am breastfeeding.

What do I do to get back on track and still have enough nutrients for baby? Anyone have any ideas? I need help! I feel huge, and I'm eating crappier than Is hould be.

qnmimi
on 6/12/11 1:53 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
Try to make good choices in your protein, & stick to lower carb if possible. If you have the energy, take your little one out for walks to up your exercise. Are you still on protein shakes? pping protein should help too. Congrats on your new little boy!

facethemusic
on 6/12/11 2:40 pm
Congrats!!!  If you want go to www.kellymom.com there is a ton of tips there to increase your supply.  My sister is a lactation consultant so if you have any questions let me know.  I don't think the surgery would effect your supply, but I suppose it could depending on how much you're eating. 

I agree with the previous poster about increasing your protein.  Not only will it help you lose, but it will help your supply.  When my oldest was born I had supply issues and I was told to increase my protein and eat lots of things with oats in them lol.  I also took Fenugreek which will leave you smelling like syrup but it works.  Pumping between feedings will also increase your supply because it tells your body that there is more demand. 

Try to remember that it took 9 months for you to gain that weight so it's not going to come off overnight. Goodluck to you and congrats on the new baby!
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

Ladytazz
on 6/12/11 2:47 pm
 It sounds simple but make sure you are drinking enough.  I was always told that I needed fluid to make milk.
Congratulations on the baby and on your awesome weight loss.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

SweetGirl11
on 6/12/11 3:40 pm
I don't have any advice to offer but just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your baby!!!    

I remember when you used to post awhile ago.  Good to see you back on OH!  

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

sparkling_dawn
on 6/13/11 1:31 am - New Castle, IN
Thank you all! Yes I've met with lactation consultants a few times. I've managed to increase my supply, but it's still not enough for baby. but I'm still trying to give him as much breastmilk as possible.

And yes I'm back on OH. I wasn't here much when I was expecting.

Celia S.
on 6/13/11 5:09 am - Grand Junction, CO
When I was having lactation issues after having my daughter, my doc recommended an herbal supplement called Fenugreek, you could try that to boost your supply. At any rate, congrats on your bundle of joy! :)

Breastfeeding will help you drop some of that weight, but just go back to the basics. Ask your doc what an acceptable calorie intake is, count your calories and exercise! Most newborns sleep a lot during the day, so take advantage of that time to do a 30 min workout video - something low impact like Leslie Sansome walking vids would be great. Depending on the temperature outside, it may not be the best idea to have your little guy outside for very long - especially since he's so new!

Best of luck to you and again, Congratulations :)
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics