flintstone vitamins?

KM724
on 6/13/11 1:45 am
i know what u guys are gonna say, NO those arent accecptable. but my nut said if you absolutely have to take them than take 2 at a time. i dont plan on taking them forever but I tried  taking the celebrate vitamins and they are gross. i think as i get further out the easier it may be to take. does anyone have any suggestions on some chewables that dont taste disgusting?

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

azambesi
on 6/13/11 1:52 am - Milton, FL
This is not going to be a popular answer, but flinstones are the vitamins that my surgeon recommends.

He says that the celebrate and bariatric advantage do not provide any increased absorption for us and are just a marketing ploy to get bariatric patients to spend more money.

He is a Circle of Excellence doc who has been doing bypass for many years. 

Note: He advises NOT to take the flinstone GUMMY ones.  These can swell in your stomach and lead to all kinds of discomfort.

Good luck!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/13/11 5:36 am - OH
It is NOT a matter of better absorption (and I have never heard any claims that "bariatric" vitamins are better absorbed... many of us take chewable Centrum), it is a matter of vitamin content!  If he is a COE surgeon (as is mine), you would think that he would WANT to follow the ASMBS vitamin supplementation guidelines.  Perhaps he has not seen them...? 

Look at them and then look at the content of the Flintstones.  Not even close.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

azambesi
on 6/13/11 8:16 am - Milton, FL
Thanks for the input Lora! I'm going to switch to Centrum.
facethemusic
on 6/13/11 1:54 am, edited 6/13/11 1:57 am
IMO the Centrum chewables taste just like the Flinstones vitamins.  None of them are going taste great, but I can handle the Centrum chewables fine.  Is there any reason you can't swallow your vitamins? 

I think I would rather take a gross vitamin that is nutritionally complete and what we need than take something that tastes good and is missing some of the nutrients you need.  I'm not 10 anymore, I can handle taking something that tastes bad if it is what I need. That's just me though.  I consider it medicine.  Even if I don't like it I'm going to take it.  I've got some Cherry Tart Calcium from Celebrate that I HATE, but I'm going to take it until it is gone because it is nutritionally what I need and I'm not going to waste my money.  

Edited to add:  You are stronger women than I am.  I would not be comfortable seeing a surgeon or nutritionist that recommends something that isn't good for you.  My surgeon strictly adheres to the ASBMS guidelines when it comes to vitamins.  It worries me when I hear that other surgeon's don't use these guidelines.  It worries me even more that people listen to them.  Yeah you can take Flinstone's and your labs may look good for a while, but eventually there will be some kind of deficiency unless you are supplementing the nutrients that the Flinstone's vitamins lack.  No one is saying you need vitamins made for bariatric patients, but you don't need vitamins made for kids either.

HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

aclay
on 6/13/11 2:08 am - MA
Where do you get the Centrum Chewables???  I've been to walmart, cvs, walgreens and they only have the chewables in orange flavor in the 50 and over or Senior brand.  I had to get the Centrum Womens Ultra and they are like horse pills and you have to swallow them they aren't chewable.  I've just started them because I was on Optisource and everyone said those weren't good either.

lynnc99
on 6/13/11 2:17 am
I have found regular centrum chewables at CVS and Walgreens - but my guess is that the "silver" version has few if any differences. MIght be worth checking the label vs. the regular non-chewable Centrum - if there's no difference, it's just labelled differently for marketing purposes.
Judi J.
on 6/13/11 2:18 am - MN
I like the taste of the Silver better but it has no iron. Which is fine cause most of us take separate iron anyway.

And selenium might be one of the differences too, I can't remember
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/13/11 4:04 am
I either take the Centrum chewable or the CVS brand Centrum Equivalent. Since CVS runs BOGO on their brand multi very often - I usually have to spend no more than $4 per month on my multi chewable. (The CVS brand is called: spectravita....) BTW: the Silver =- have more vit A in natural form. No iron - but I have to take another iron anyway,a and no Vit K - I had to supplement that any way due to bruising even when I took the multi with K.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lynnc99
on 6/13/11 2:06 am
My doc recommends Centrum chewables which are easily available (and often on sale) at CVS or Walgreens.

As for "they are gross" - well, you are in for the long haul, my friend. It's a vitamin, not a gourmet dessert! You WILL get used to it, but do NOT play around with skipping your vitamins because they don't taste good!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views