Revving Up Your Metabolism?

Heidi L.
on 6/14/11 4:34 pm - San Jose, CA
Ideas would be great. I'm at 8.5 months and have lost 2# in the past 3 months..... BMI is at 29.6.

About 25-30# until I reach my surgeon's "goal". I know I am not eating correctly or exercising like I should be.

What is your daily eating schedule and/or exercise routine that has helped you lose those last 30#'s and maintain?

*also dealing with hypothyroidism and PCOS

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

Ladytazz
on 6/14/11 4:49 pm
 The best advice I could give you to lose the rest of your weight is to get rid of any refined carbs you may be eating.  Toss out all the bread, crackers, chips, candy, what have you.  It will slow down your weight loss and will probably lead to regain if you eat enough.  If you want to reach goal you have to really stick to your plan as closely as possible.  Once you lose all the weight you want you can decide if you want to include those things into your maintenance if you can handle them moderately.
The other advice I would give you is to get a lot of protein and water.  When I made those things a priority my weight loss really took off.  I get in at least 100 grams of protein and 100 oz of water a day.  I also don't snack or graze or eat anything that is unplanned.  That means if I go to my friends house and they are eating chips I don't have them.  If it is dinner time and I haven't eaten I would probably join them because dinner is a planned meal. My snacks are always high protein.
I can't help you with exercise.  I haven't been good in that area although I plan on changing that soon.
Also, track every bite you eat in a program like myfitnesspal.com.  That will give you a realistic picture of how your eating is and help you make the necessary changes if need be.
When I was in the losing phase I kept my carbs under 50 grams, never refined.  Now that I am maintaining I still watch the carbs.  I probably have about 25% or 30% of my calories from carbs.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Heidi L.
on 6/14/11 4:56 pm - San Jose, CA
Thanks! I was wondering about protein. My surgeon says 60-80 grams, but that just doesn't seem like enough to me.

Are you eating 3 meals a day? I know other people I've spoken with are only allowed 1 meal a day. We can have 3 ounces of protein and 1-.5 cups of veggies/fruit per meal. Seems like an awful lot

Wonderful ideas!
Heidi

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

Ladytazz
on 6/14/11 5:04 pm
 One meal a day???  That sounds very unhealthy.  Generaly I eat 3 meals a day and a protein shake or snack before bed.  I find that if I have something before bed it holds me over until breakfast.
For breakfast I have a protein decaf coffee, either hot or cold.  I'm not much of an eater in the morning.  For lunch I have 3 or 4 oz of meat or a ricotta bake or 1/2 cup of chili with cheese.
Dinner is usually 3 or 4 oz of meat with a salad with some avocado and blue cheese.  For dessert I have a protein pudding and like I said, a protein drink or snack before bed.
If I go out to eat I generally stick with about 3 or 4 oz of meat and a vegetable, maybe some fruit if it comes with the meal.  If I go out for breakfast I usually get some scrambled eggs or an omelette (bring 1/2 home) with some fruit.
Boring but it works for me.
When I was pretty new I looked around and saw that the people that seemed to have the most success were those that got in a lot of protein and water and watched the carbs so I decided to learn to love the protein powder and make it a habit.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 12:09 am - TX
I agree with the low carb for sure, and upping the protein to 80-100. I also think exercising first thing in the morning really gets my metabolism revved up. I wear a bodybugg and on the days I exercise first, its like I have a jump start for the day and I burn more calories all day long. And water, water, water....to flu**** all out.
gbsinsatx
on 6/14/11 8:15 pm - San Antonio, TX
 Please see my profile for my eating plan if interested.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Susank505
on 6/15/11 1:33 am - Mt. Pleasant, MI
thanks, I "stole" your plan!  :)
~Susan~    HT 5'6"
HW 278 / PRE-OP 270 / SW 260 / CW 197/ GW 150

WOOHOOO!!!!  I AM 60.8% TO MY GOAL WEIGHT!!!!!
"Be the change you want to see in the World" - Ghandi

lynnc99
on 6/14/11 8:47 pm
Exercise is a "must" for me. I recommend a combination of cardio (even brisk walking) and resistance training with weights. This will rev up your metabolism, and the effects remain long after your workout is done!
Price S.
on 6/14/11 9:02 pm - Mills River, NC
My plan is 2 oz protein, 2 oz veggies or fruit, 4-5x a day, plus 2 protein drinks.  I sometimes get more than 2 oz of protein or veggies but not more than 3 of protein and maybe 3-4 of veggies.  I stay very low carb, usually under 30g per day, get over 100g of protein a day and over 64oz of fluid. 

Do you have a NUT?  make an appointment.  You want to take advantage of the "honeymoon" period to get the rest of the weight off. 

Good luck to you.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Siberia
on 6/14/11 11:07 pm
I regularly meet with post-op Gastric Bypass patients who experience slow weight loss.  Patients have a 12-15 month window post-op to lose weight.  My recommendation is to determine a weight goal and number of protein grams to be consumed. A Bariatric Nutritionist (RD) can help you with this. 

Each client (patient) is an individual with unique protein needs. The number of grams varies with the weight goal.  If the protein is set too low, the body will use limited protein stores and muscle wasting will result. If too high, the kidneys are compromised. Water is essential since it hydrates and helps to push waste products through the body. I recommend 64 ounces per day. 

Exercise is a must.  Find an aerobic exercise that you like.  Swimming, biking (indoor or out), walking, cleaning the house, etc will make you feel better, increase energy, elevate your mood, and give you a feeling of accomplishment. I ask clients to work up to 30 minutes, 3 times per week of sustained activity.
Do not rely on your friend or buddy, rely on your motivation alone!
Please consume 3 meals per day consuming protein first, then vegetables and fruits. Lean proteins will provide satisfaction.  Even lean proteins have some fat which satisfies you and helps you maintain your own protein stores.  High fiber is essential because it fills you up!  Non-starchy vegetables and whole fruits are best.  A whey protein supplement is beneficial between meals.  Your RD can help guide you with the vast number of choices available.  Some are not appropriate choices.

Your Hypothyroidism and PCOS are certainly a challenge.  Remember to take your prescribed meds.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 413 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 76 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?